Integrating BIRT reports with J2EE application

SAmbekar
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
I am working on Actuate 9 BIRT designer professional.
Please guide me as to how I can integrate my BIRT reports with my J2EE application...

Comments

• Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Hello again SAmbekar,

This answer depends on the functionality you need. If you need simple static reports and want to write the code yourself to launch the reports from your Java application, then take a look at the ReportEngine example located in your C:Program FilesActuate9BRDProDesktop Application SDK folder on the machine you installed Actuate BIRT to.

If you want a web viewer where users can page through the reports in a browser then take a look at the example called WebViewerExample located in the same directory.

In you need additional end-user functionality, like letting the end-user re-sort, regroup, add charts, or create the BIRT report from scratch in the browser, then take a look at the Actuate iPortal.

Virgil
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • SAmbekar
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Virgil,

I have 2 options currently with me for deployment but I am not able to decide which one to use:
    1) Deploy the BIRT Viewer servlet directly in my App server and call the reports from a file system repository using that servlet.

2) Deploy the reports using iServer and iPortal.

Can you guide me on which approach to select? If you recommend option 2, can you tell me how that can be achieved?
  • amitgujar
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    pls some one help me too, how to integrate my j2ee application with birt report

Thanks in Advance
  • Suvrow
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Hi,<br />
    I have tried deploying birt reports on tomcat but the reports r not running<br />
    only a sample report that was present in WebViewerExample folder is running<br />
    My birt reports are giving an error<br />
    I have done the following steps in deploying the reports<br />
    They are<br />
    <br />
    1. In the first step i copied the files from the WebViewerExample of the birt_runtime_(version).zip into the "Tomcat 5.5/webapps/birt-viewer" folder.<br />
    <br />
    2. Copied the iText.jar in "/birt-viewer/WEB- INF/platform/plugins/com.lowagie.itext/lib". <br />
    <br />
    3. Now restarted Tomcat and and pointed the browser on <a class='bbc_url' href='http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/frameset?__report=test.rptdesign&sample=my+parameter'>http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/frameset?__report=test.rptdesign&sample=my+parameter</a&gt; . This is the sample report which ran by the way<br />
    <br />
    4. To run my own reports copied the .rptdesign file in the root of the birt-viewer folder<br />
    <br />
    5. Copied JDBC drivers to birt-viewerWEB-INFplatformpluginsorg.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbcdrivers <br />
    <br />
    After all these steps my reports r not running givin me an error<br />
    <br />
    STEPS WHICH I DIDIN DO<br />
    <br />
    1. When you are running a Report which using POJO's you have to export your classes in to an jar file. <br />
    <br />
    2. After that the jar file has to be copied to /birt-viewer/WEB-INF/lib/ , with all other used libraries e.g. jdom.jar. Restart the tomcat and navigate to your report : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/frameset?__report=stocks_report.rptdesign'>http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/frameset?__report=stocks_report.rptdesign</a&gt; Voilà the report should work. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Please help me out<br />
    waht should i do, its very urgent for me to deploy my eclipse birt reports in birt
  • Suvrow
    edited December 31, 1969 #6
    can anybody help me out please, its showing me the following error

"There is no report design object available"

awaiting reply from anyone its urgent guyz
  • pauljin
    edited December 31, 1969 #7
    the easiest way to integrate birt with J2ee application would be creating a web project with birt runtime . in order to get this option under your eclipse you have to download WTP plugin from birt repository . Integrate it into your eclipse folder and then next time search for birt while creating a project. you could also configure the some of the directories by the wizard provided by it . But note one thing that some of the directories used by the webviewer can not be changed .