Creating a File with relative path

vensw
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to read a properties file say(testtemplate.properties) which is on Desktop.
I don't want to use absolute path. How can I specify that?

Example Code: I'm writing the below code in the Report's beforeFactory() method.

importClass(java.io.File);
importClass(java.io.BufferedReader);
importClass(java.io.InputStreamReader);
importClass(java.io.FileInputStream);

file = new File("C:/Documents and Settings/student/Desktop/testtemplate.properties");

try {
if (file.exists()) {
// If Logic goes here
} else {
// Else Logic goes here
}
} catch(exception) {

}

The above code works fine since the path I gave is an absolute path. But I need to specify relative path.
I tried

file = new File("testtemplate.properties");

and it didn't worked.

I also added the testtemplate.properties file in the Shared Resources. Also, I noticed the below code in the XML Source of my report.

<simple-property-list name="includeResource">
<value>testtemplate</value>
</simple-property-list>

Kindly, help me in finding out where I'm going wrong. Thank you for your time and patience..

Regards,
EVSGK.

Comments

• mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    You can grab the resource folder path with:

reportContext.getDesignHandle().resourceFolder;

So, you could possibly use this path to help you with creating a relative path.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • vensw
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Hi Williams,

Could you please provide me an example showing how to access a file from the resource folder? Thank you so much for the help.

Regards,
    EVSGK.
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    If you put your file in the resource folder, you should be able to use:

reportContext.getResource("yourfile");

This will return the path to the file which you then can open and read. Let me know.
  • vensw
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Hi Williams,<br />
    <br />
    I tried this..<br />
    <br />
    resourceFolderPath = reportContext.getDesignHandle().resourceFolder;<br />
    file = new File(resourceFolderPath+"\\"+"hwatermark.properties");<br />
    <br />
    and the absolute path of the file I got is..<br />
    <br />
    C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\<span style='color: #FF0000'>null</span>\hwatermark.properties.<br />
    <br />
    I don't understand the null there.. Could you help me out with where I'm going wrong..<br />
    <br />
    Thanks,<br />
    EVSGK.
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #6
    Try adding just a single '\'. The null probably comes between the two that you add.
  • vensw
    edited December 31, 1969 #7
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="84848" data-time="1320333579" data-date="03 November 2011 - 08:19 AM"><p>
    Try adding just a single '\'. The null probably comes between the two that you add.<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    <br />
    If you add only one '\' like "\", it assumes we are trying to enter escape sequence \" ( which inserts a double quote character in the text at that point). In order to include \ in the string, we have to prepend it with another \. Let me know if I'm wrong..
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #8
    Yeah, but it just seems that that's where the issue is. Did you try it? If you did and it didn't work. Try leaving out the slash altogether.
  • vensw
    edited December 31, 1969 #9
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="84855" data-time="1320341860" data-date="03 November 2011 - 10:37 AM"><p>
    Yeah, but it just seems that that's where the issue is. Did you try it? If you did and it didn't work. Try leaving out the slash altogether.<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    <br />
    Didn't worked..Back to same problem..
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #10
    Have you tried the reportContext.getResource("yourfile"); way?
  • vensw
    edited December 31, 1969 #11
    I tired this...<br />
    <br />
    resourceFilePath = reportContext.getResource("hwatermark.properties");<br />
    file = new File(resourceFilePath);<br />
    <br />
    And I got the below text when I tried to set the text of a label as<br />
    this.text = file.getAbsolutePath(); <br />
    <br />
    The text is: <strong class='bbc'>C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\file:\C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\hwatermark.properties</strong><br />
    <br />
    I don't understand why I got C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\ repeated twice in the absolute path..<br />
    <br />
    Could you please provide me an example of how to read a properties file which is in the resources folder of the report? Thanks a bunch...<br />
    <br />
    Regards,<br />
    EVSGK.
  • mwilliams
    edited November 3, 2011 #12
    If I do:

then set the value of a text box to be the absolute path of this file, I get:

C:\Eclipse BIRT\BIRT 2_6_2\testtemplate.properties

Which is where Eclipse is installed, so the default location is BIRT HOME. So, if I were to build a path to the same location and then call new File on that location, I would probably get a double path the same as you have. So, if you just make sure your resource folder is where you want the file, you should be able to just do:

And the path will probably be to your BIRT install folder, just like mine does above. What is your BIRT version? Maybe that's the difference.
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #13
    This worked for me to point directly to the resource folder. A single forward slash '/' does it.

setFileLocation = reportContext.getDesignHandle().resourceFolder;
    file = new File(setFileLocation + "/" + "testtemplate.properties");
  • vensw
    edited December 31, 1969 #14
    I tried the below approaches..<br />
    <br />
    Approach 1:<br />
    <br />
    resourceFilePath = reportContext.getDesignHandle().resourceFolder;<br />
    file = new File(resourceFilePath + "/" + "watermark.properties");<br />
    <br />
    Observed:<br />
    1) View Report As PDF : Worked Fine. <br />
    2) When ran Integration Test : null is being appended in the path and <br />
    the path Is:C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\<span style='color: #FF0000'>null</span>\watermark.properties <br />
    3) When ran the job on Server : null is being appended in the path and <br />
    the path Is:C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v7\profiles\was70profile1\bin\<span style='color: #FF0000'>null</span>\watermark.properties<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Approach 2:<br />
    <br />
    resourceFilePath = reportContext.getResource("watermark.properties");<br />
    file = new File(resourceFilePath.toString().substring(6));<br />
    <br />
    // reportContext.getResource("watermark.properties") is returning <br />
    <span style='color: #006400'>file:/C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\<span style='color: #FF0000'>null</span>\watermark.properties</span><br />
    <br />
    1) View Report As PDF : Worked Fine. <br />
    2) When ran Integration Test : Worked Fine. <br />
    3) When ran the job on Server : toString() is being called on null and an error is thrown.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Approach 3:<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    importPackage(com.mr.marketing.birt.watermark)<br />
    <br />
    <span style='color: #006400'>waterMarkReader = new WaterMarkPropertyReader();</span><br />
    // WaterMarkPropertyReader is a class in the package com.mr.marketing.birt.watermark. <br />
    <span style='color: #006400'>propertyValue = waterMarkReader.getWaterMarkKeyValue("hasWaterMark");</span><br />
    getWaterMarkKeyValue("hasWaterMark") will return the property value of the key that was passed to it. (In this case, it is hasWaterMark).<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    1) View Report As PDF : path is:C:\Program Files\ibm\SDP\watermark.properties <br />
    2) When ran Integration Test : path is:C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\watermark.properties <br />
    3) When ran the job on Server : path is:C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v7\profiles\was70profile1\bin\watermark.properties<br />
    <br />
    Birt is expecting the watermark.properties file from three different places this time..
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #15
    I haven't seen the null in mine. Any way you can attach a report that I can run that will show this. Maybe if we're working on the same file, I can be of more help!?
  • @vensw said:
    I tried the below approaches..

Approach 1:

resourceFilePath = reportContext.getDesignHandle().resourceFolder;

file = new File(resourceFilePath + "/" + "watermark.properties");

Observed:

1) View Report As PDF : Worked Fine.

2) When ran Integration Test : null is being appended in the path and

the path Is:C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\null\watermark.properties

3) When ran the job on Server : null is being appended in the path and

the path Is:C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v7\profiles\was70profile1\bin\null\watermark.properties

Approach 2:

resourceFilePath = reportContext.getResource("watermark.properties");

file = new File(resourceFilePath.toString().substring(6));

// reportContext.getResource("watermark.properties") is returning

file:/C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\null\watermark.properties

Observed:

1) View Report As PDF : Worked Fine.

2) When ran Integration Test : Worked Fine.

3) When ran the job on Server : toString() is being called on null and an error is thrown.

Approach 3:

importPackage(com.mr.marketing.birt.watermark)

waterMarkReader = new WaterMarkPropertyReader();

// WaterMarkPropertyReader is a class in the package com.mr.marketing.birt.watermark.

propertyValue = waterMarkReader.getWaterMarkKeyValue("hasWaterMark");

getWaterMarkKeyValue("hasWaterMark") will return the property value of the key that was passed to it. (In this case, it is hasWaterMark).

Observed:

1) View Report As PDF : path is:C:\Program Files\ibm\SDP\watermark.properties

2) When ran Integration Test : path is:C:\devl\ws-svn\MR\watermark.properties

3) When ran the job on Server : path is:C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v7\profiles\was70profile1\bin\watermark.properties

Birt is expecting the watermark.properties file from three different places this time..

Did you find any solution for the relative path??