Birt and serialization

Mad1s0n
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hello,
I need some insight on how birt works. It has come to my attention that when using a scripted datasource, if i asign a java object to a row of my dataset, the object is serialized. I would like to avoid this serialization process as much as possible. What is the origin of this process? Is this the rhino library? Or can I avoid it by writing my own java event handlers?

Thanks

Comments

• CBR
    CBR
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    The object is serialized because of dataSet caching. I think it can be deactivated (have a look at javadoc of DataEngine: http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.birt.doc.isv/data/api/org/eclipse/birt/data/engine/api/package-summary.html) but i m not 100% sure.
  • Mad1s0n
    edited February 28, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply.<br />
    I read on the following bug report (<a class='bbc_url' href='https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=364631'>bug</a>) that the 3.7.2 version of birt that has just been released would include a flag to disable dataset caching. I couldn't find it in the advanced properties of the dataset. Does anyone knows if it has effectively been implemented and where to find it?
  • CBR
    CBR
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    Hi,

it is implemented in 3.7.2.
    As mentioned you can find the property when selecting the corresponding dataset and click on the advanced tab in the properties editor.
    I attach a screenshot that was made using BIRT 3.7.2 (the option is not available in previous versions)
  • CBR
    CBR
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Sorry forgot to add another sentence:
    I m not quite sure if it solves your problem because BIRT sometimes decides to serializes data to disc depending on the data volumne of a single dataset (so that you don't run into out of memory issues on large datasets)
  • Mad1s0n
    edited February 28, 2012 #6
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'cbrell'" data-cid="96905" data-time="1330432984" data-date="28 February 2012 - 05:43 AM"><p>
    Sorry forgot to add another sentence:<br />
    I m not quite sure if it solves your problem because BIRT sometimes decides to serializes data to disc depending on the data volumne of a single dataset (so that you don't run into out of memory issues on large datasets)<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Ok thanks for the reply. I saw the parameter on the previous versions, so I was not sure it was the one. I guess birt developers had the change in mind but had not implemented it yet. Can you confirm? <br />
    <br />
    Thanks anyway, i'll upgrade birt to the 3.7.2 version and test it.
  • Mad1s0n
    edited December 31, 1969 #7
    Yep! It works, no more serialization! Thanks a lot.