iPortalID URI Parameter = API's AuthID?

jafurman
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hello,

I am hoping someone can confirm or deny that the iPortalID parameter for iPortal URIs can be populated with an AuthID retrieved from a call to the Login operation in the Actuate Information Delivery API.

In other words, I would like to be able to call the Login operation via webservice to retrieve an AuthID, then redirect the user to a specific page on the iPortal by passing the AuthID as a parameter so that the user doesn't have to log in (since I will have already authenticated them). Is that possible?

I know that you can also pass the username and password as parameters in the URI, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. I also know that it is possible to create a custom security adapter by implementing the IPSE Java classes, but a) I'm not terribly familiar with Java and b ) it seems that works similarly to passing the username and password in the URI to begin with.

Thanks in advance,
Joel

Comments

• Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    moved to the BIRT iServer forum
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • averma
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Hi Joel ,
    This approach will not be sufficient since IC uses session based security model to control only authenticated users can access the application(to prevent hacker attacks). I will recommend IPSE approach, if you are not familiar with java, you can use/modify some pre-built examples that you find in the documentation or product samples. Here is an article (a bit old) but can also serve as a good starting point:
    http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/deploying-birt-reports/858-implementing-single-sign-on-in-iserver-express-/#description
  • RSiegler
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    Joel,<br />
    <br />
    The two are not the same value.<br />
    They have different creation methods, different lengths, and different requirements on the back end.<br />
    Unfortunately, you cannot "swap" AuthID and iPortalID.<br />
    <br />
    Best Regards,<br />
    Ryan Siegler<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'jafurman'" data-cid="101890" data-time="1338915292" data-date="05 June 2012 - 09:54 AM"><p>
    Hello,<br />
    <br />
    I am hoping someone can confirm or deny that the iPortalID parameter for iPortal URIs can be populated with an AuthID retrieved from a call to the Login operation in the Actuate Information Delivery API.<br />
    <br />
    In other words, I would like to be able to call the Login operation via webservice to retrieve an AuthID, then redirect the user to a specific page on the iPortal by passing the AuthID as a parameter so that the user doesn't have to log in (since I will have already authenticated them). Is that possible?<br />
    <br />
    I know that you can also pass the username and password as parameters in the URI, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. I also know that it is possible to create a custom security adapter by implementing the IPSE Java classes, but a) I'm not terribly familiar with Java and b ) it seems that works similarly to passing the username and password in the URI to begin with.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks in advance,<br />
    Joel<br /></p></blockquote>
  • jafurman
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Thanks for your replies. I ended up going with a Custom Security Adapter solution, similar to that described in the article above.

Thanks,
    Joel