Mavenizing Birt 3.7.1

Comments

• tgupta0614
    edited December 31, 1969 #32
    Attached is my original pom.xml
  • snowc
    edited December 31, 1969 #33
    Hi, when is the maven RELEASE version of BIRT expected?

Many thanks,

Chris
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #34
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'tgupta0614'" data-cid="97347" data-time="1331066508" data-date="06 March 2012 - 01:41 PM"><p>
    Attached is my original pom.xml<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    How are running BIRT when you get the error?<br />
    <br />
    Jason
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #35
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'snowc'" data-cid="97350" data-time="1331071316" data-date="06 March 2012 - 03:01 PM"><p>
    Hi, when is the maven RELEASE version of BIRT expected?<br />
    <br />
    Many thanks,<br />
    <br />
    Chris<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Chris <br />
    <br />
    It should be soon. We are still testing it, but I suspect in the next week or two. Have you tried the snap shot?<br />
    <br />
    Jason
  • tgupta0614
    edited March 8, 2012 #36
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'JasonW'" data-cid="97450" data-time="1331245721" data-date="08 March 2012 - 03:28 PM"><p>
    How are running BIRT when you get the error?<br />
    <br />
    Jason<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    I'm running birt from the webapp using Tomcat as the container
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #37
    When it is deployed are the birt runtime jars there?

Jason
  • tgupta0614
    edited December 31, 1969 #38
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'JasonW'" data-cid="97456" data-time="1331248278" data-date="08 March 2012 - 04:11 PM"><p>
    When it is deployed are the birt runtime jars there?<br />
    <br />
    Jason<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Yes, they are there in the web-inf/lib
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #39
    As a test can you download the BIRT Runtime and deploy the viewer to tomcat and see if works? If you have all the jars in the web-inf/lib it should be working. BTW does html format work? What does the code look like?

Jason
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #40
    Hello guys!

i really appreciate this initiative, thanks for your work so far.

Have roughly tested this 3.7.1 runtime artifact in a laboratory environment with very basic report design. It seemed to work as expected. At this point I am wondering if/when 3.7.2 runtime would become available as well. I am aware of 3.7.2-SNAPSHOT but this one unfortunatelly doesn't work for me.

By chance, aren't you or JBOSS planning to mavenize some major 3rd party ODA plugins in addition to BIRT runtime? Namely JBOSS BIRT ODA (org.jboss.tools.birt.oda) could worth considering.

Cheers,
    Tomas
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #41
    Tomas,

You may also want to monitor this thread.
    http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/845370/

We are trying to get the maven artifacts into the build process for BIRT to make this automatic for every BIRT release. This is a planned feature for juno release (June 2012). On the jboss odas we currently do not have any plans for this as the jboss project owns the code for that.

Jason
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #42
    Thanks for clarification Jason. Looking forward to Juno then :-)

I've created a feature request at JBoss ticket portal asking for mavenized JBoss Tools / BIRT ODA.

Tomas
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #43
    Tomas,

Do you have a link to the feature request? Thanks

Jason
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #44
    Sure, <a class='bbc_url' href='https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-11606'>here</a&gt; it is.
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #45
    Thanks for posting.

Jason
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #46
    Hi again,

if possible, please consider adding companion JavaDoc and Source artifacts to current Birt Runtime artifact. That would make quite a difference in convenience during Birt integration step.

;)
    Tomas
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #47
    \o/

Version 4.2 seems to be available in release repository. Looking forward to migrate current 3.7.1 to 4.2 at some point :)
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #48
    Tomas

Please let us know what you think. We would like to make this as user friendly as possible. BTW I am in the middle of a Spring/BIRT project that uses Maven with BIRT 4.2. It seems to work like a charm!

Jason
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #49
    Hi Jason,

I am not there yet, being slowed down by weird technical difficulties.

I am using private inhouse Nexus proxy/mirror that doesn't seem to like certain BIRT releases. While it accepted previous 3.7.1 no problem, it refuses to mirror 4.2.0. It also failed to mirror snapshots in the past, iirc 3.7.2-SNAPSHOT and 4.2.0-SNAPSHOT but those were rather insignificant to me.

Not being aware of internal workings of Maven and Nexus makes it rather difficult for me to pin point the exact reason for experiencing this. Have already sent an inquiry to maintainer of private Nexus repository though.

Could be that 4.2.0 artifact is not properly tagged as a release or is missing something compared to 3.7.1, or my mirror is just too picky at times (BIRT artifact being the only victim I am aware of). I am just guessing here.

For record, I temporarily adjusted my local configuration to completely bypass private Nexus mirror. Under such conditions I am able to reach 4.2.0 and resolve dependencies accordingly.

Tomas
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #50
    Tomas,

Please keep us updated.

Jason
  • Vikram P
    edited December 31, 1969 #51
    Please anyone can post working pom.
    Tried with attached one but it's not working.

Thanks,
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #52
    Vikram,<br />
    <br />
    the following pom.xml excerpt is verified and confirmed to work. Well I am still having problems to reach 4.2.0, but that's due to issue specific to my environment as mentioned in earlier post.<br />
    <br />
    You can find official word on this subject in Birt 4.2.0 release notes / notable features and referred bugzilla issues.<br />
    <br />
    <pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
    <repositories>
    <repository>
    <id>sonatype-nexus-releases</id>
    <name>Sonatype Nexus Releases</name>
    <url>https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/</url>
    </repository>
    </repositories>

<dependencies>

<!-- Birt 3.7.1 -->
    <dependency>
    <groupId>org.eclipse.birt.runtime.3_7_1</groupId>
    <artifactId>org.eclipse.birt.runtime</artifactId>
    <version>3.7.1</version>
    </dependency>

<!-- Birt 4.2.0 -->
    <dependency>
    <groupId>org.eclipse.birt.runtime</groupId>
    <artifactId>org.eclipse.birt.runtime</artifactId>
    <version>4.2.0</version>
    </dependency>

</dependencies>
    </pre>
    <br />
    Tomas
  • Vikram P
    edited December 31, 1969 #53
    Finally working fine.I spent so much time on it
    Thank you Tomas. you rock :)
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #54
    A short update to issue related to Maven Nexus Mirror repository brought up earlier: maintainer of private Nexus Mirror I am using had to configure Sonatype Nexus Releases Repository <span class='bbc_underline'>as allowed source</span>. Maven dependency resolution works as expected since then, quite a relief. :) <br />
    <br />
    On unrelated note: after upgrading runtime from 3.7.1 to 4.2.0 my rptdesigns/rptlibrary no longer work right. I am extensively using feature of linking DataSource parameter to Report parameter. Unfortunatelly that feature is either broken in 4.2.0 or been made incompatible with 3.7.1 practices. I have even attempted to re-save 3.7.1 reports using 4.2.0 designer. Didn't help either. The interesting part is rptdesign previewed from 4.2.0 designer works quite well including DataSet parameter resolution. Doing the same thing from runtime fails with exception below.<br />
    <br />
    <pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement execute
    SEVERE: Cannot execute the statement.
    org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.OdaException: Expected positional parameter count: 1, actual parameters: [] [SELECT
    WHERE
    r.id.headId = ?
    ...</pre>
    <br />
    The issue I am experiencing resembles <a class='bbc_url' href='https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=384925'>this bug report</a>.<br />
    <br />
    Going to further investigate this, hoping for workaround or solution to be found.<br />
    <br />
    Tomas
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited October 1, 2012 #55
    Hi,

call me impatient, but I can't help to ask a question :-)

Is the Maven releases repository getting BIRT 4.2.1 update anytime soon?

EDIT: Oh now I see it's already present in snapshots repository. Alright then.

Tomas
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #56
    Hi again,<br />
    <br />
    i am back to report that dependencies in <strong class='bbc'>4.2.1-SNAPSHOT</strong> can't be resolved entirely. Perhaps it's due to possibility of it being in work in progress state still.<br />
    <br />
    org.eclipse.birt.runtime-4.2.1-20120927.080613-1.pom<br />
    <br />
    Defines the following dependency (notice offending <strong class='bbc'>.jar</strong> fragment in version tag):<br />
    <pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'><dependency>
    <artifactId>org.eclipse.core.runtime</artifactId>
    <version>3.8.0.v20120521-2346.jar</version>
    </dependency></pre>
    <br />
    Whereas it should be defined rather like this:<br />
    <pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'><dependency>
    <artifactId>org.eclipse.core.runtime</artifactId>
    <version>3.8.0.v20120521-2346</version>
    </dependency></pre>
    <br />
    Let's hope it will get addressed at some point :) <br />
    <br />
    Cheers,<br />
    Tomas
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #57
    Can you open a bugzilla entry to address it?

Jason
  • Tomas.Vala
    edited December 31, 1969 #58
    Hi Jason,<br />
    <br />
    done, ticket <a class='bbc_url' href='https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=390997'>here</a>.
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #59
    Thanks Tomas.
  • bognekadje
    edited December 31, 1969 #60
    Hi all,<br />
    <br />
    I just have problem with mavenizing birt. I used version 4.2.0 since without problem, but now i have following message when executing maven.<br />
    <pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
    [WARNING] The POM for org.eclipse.birt:org.eclipse.birt.data:jar:3.7.1.v20110905 is missing, no dependency information available
    [WARNING] The POM for org.eclipse.birt:org.eclipse.birt.core:jar:3.7.1.v20110905 is missing, no dependency information available
    </pre>
    <br />
    I can not find this jar file and i don't know what to do to put it.<br />
    <br />
    Can somebody help me please.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks.<br />
    <br />
    Eric
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #61
    Can you try the 4.2.1a version as discussed in this bug:https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=390997 ?

Jason