Writing to a log file in Maximo

jballnik
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hey Gang,

Is there a way I can enable a log file to print when a BIRT report is run in Maximo? I can get a log file when running it through Eclipse, but I would like to see it while it runs through Maximo.

thanks,
John

Comments

• wwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Have you tried via the Maximo loggers?
    log4j.logger.maximo.service.BIRTREPORT
  • Alisyah
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'wwilliams'" data-cid="112656" data-time="1356032997" data-date="20 December 2012 - 12:49 PM"><p>
    Have you tried via the Maximo loggers?<br />
    log4j.logger.maximo.service.BIRTREPORT<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    If you're editing the .rptdesign file with Eclipse, you can go to XML Source tab<br />
    Then add these line:<br />
    mxReportScriptContext = MXReportScriptContext.initialize(reportContext);<br />
    mxReportScriptContext.setDefaultLogLevel("DEBUG");<br />
    mxReportScriptContext.setDefaultLogFile("c:/temp/poprint.log");
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • micajblock
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Alisyah'" data-cid="113611" data-time="1359356398" data-date="27 January 2013 - 11:59 PM"><p>
    If you're editing the .rptdesign file with Eclipse, you can go to XML Source tab<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Not a good idea to edit the XML source. <br />
    <br />
    This should go in the beforeFactory.
  • Alisyah
    edited February 5, 2013 #5
    I ever tried log4j but didn't make it. Anyone did? Please share us a link if any.

--editing--
    can we delete our post? I only click once but two posts exist.
  • Alisyah
    edited December 31, 1969 #6
    I ever tried log4j but didn't make it. Anyone did? Please share us a link if any.
  • jverly01
    edited December 31, 1969 #7
    Here is a good start for Logging in Maximo:<br />
    <br />
    <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21264064'>http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21264064</a><br />
    <br />
    The other option is to review the logs in BIRT Designer before deploying the report. I haven't tried placing the debug settings in the BeforeFactory method, but I know the IBM best practice is to place it in the initialize method of the main report.<br />
    <br />
    In BIRT Designer, in the outline view (which should be on the left side of the BIRT Designer), click on the top of the tree which should be the name of the report - e.g. foobar_report.rptdesign. <br />
    <br />
    Select the initialize method and add the following:<br />
    <br />
    <pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>mxReportScriptContext.setDefaultLogLevel("DEBUG");
    mxReportScriptContext.setDefaultLogFile("C:/temp/foobar_report.log");
    </pre>
    <br />
    Now evertime the report is previewed in BIRT Designer, you'll get a log file in c:\temp folder.
  • micajblock
    edited December 31, 1969 #8
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'jverly01'" data-cid="115011" data-time="1363124241" data-date="12 March 2013 - 02:37 PM"><p>
    I know the IBM best practice is to place it in the initialize method of the main report.<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Actually the beforeFactory is the better place as the initialize method gets called twice. Once for generation and then once when rendering.
  • wwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #9
    Here is a good resource I found related to report logging in the designer and within Maximo.
    https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21423974&aid=1