Unable to export report to pdf from maximo

Baalu
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>Dears,</p><p> </p><p>We are using Maximo 7.1.1.8 and BIRT 2.3.2 for reporting.</p><p> </p><p>I am able to run and export a report in local BIRT designer without any issue.</p><p>The same report is deployed to Maximo and for the same record, I am able to run report without issue. When I try to export the report to pdf, I am getting below error:</p><p><span style="font-size:14px;">[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]<em><strong>[color=#1f497d;]There was an error opening the document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.[/color]</strong></em>[/font]</span></p><p> </p><p>While I don't have any issue running / exporting any other report in Maximo.</p><p> </p><p>Any help would be greatly appreciated.</p><p> </p><p>Thank you.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Comments

• <p>When you are in the designer does it run properly in the web viewer?</p><p>Make sure you scroll to the bottom.</p>
  • <p>Thank you for the reply.</p><p>Yes, I did checked and there is no error in designer when run in webviewer.</p>
  • <p>You mention "same record," What happens with different records?</p><p>Can you upload the report? I have 7.5 and 2.3.2</p>
  • <p>It works just fine with all other records in designer and Maximo as well.</p><p>Its a complex report and have some custom DB fields for our organization.</p><p> </p><p>I would like to understand if anyone have seen this error while exporting reports in Maximo.</p><p>I am suspecting it might be when BIRT engine trying to apply page break by splitting a field value (long text) across pages.</p>
  • <p>OK, then if it one record, then I'd disable the long text or try truncating it and see what happens.</p><p>Sounds like you are on the right track.</p>
  • <p>In the Report Designer, have you tried running as a PDF output and checked for errors? There are some subtle differences between the BIRT webviewer and the Maximo engine.</p>
  • <p>Yes, I tried running as pdf and it didn't throw any error in BIRT designer.</p>
  • anthony.ng
    edited September 24, 2013 #9
    <p>It's not a production environment so I haven't checked that hard but now I'm annoyed :)  Something happened to me since July that the PDFs from maximo are no longer working.</p><p> </p><p>My last working PDF was July 22, 2013.</p><p> </p><p>What I have found so far is that when I'm running the report on the server and looking at the downloaded PDF, it's ok.</p><p> </p><p>But if I'm connected to the maximo server with a client PC, run a report and download the PDF, the PDF is always damaged (done with both firefox and IE).  However, the client PC can open the PDF that was downloaded onto the server.</p><p> </p><p>I did go through a bunch of windows server 2008 updates in August and maybe something there broke the transfer of PDF files?</p>
  • <p>I have exact same problem, with some variation :) It occurs when certain work orders are printed. There is an unusually long longdescription.ldtext field. The field is punctuated with formatting characters such as <cr>, <lf>,</p><p>the same report can print work orders with normal longdescription.ldtext. I can print whole report in the developer viewer, without any errors. If I try to print it as PDF, it fails with the error message as described in this thread.</p><p>The log file long description in this work order print is followed by a number of tables accessing other Maximo data such as failure hierarchy, routes, etc. No trace is to be found in the debug log file for the report, it just stops after the access open / close of the longdescription dataset.</p><p>In exact contradistinction to this another version of woprint, closer to OOB report without the trailing subreports of failure hierarchy, routes, etc. can print the maverick longdescription.ldtext field without mishap. I have gone through the obvious exercises of comparing code, comparing debug logs, and the usual and obvious diagnostic techniques. It happens in Maximo, but I can create it in the developer viewer. I tried converting the text-data component to a dynamic text component, but that ruined the formatting characters and just mashed everything together as if it were suppressing white space.</p><p>Any insight or diagnostic suggestions will be appreciatively received.</p>