BIRT Report not running in eclipse after update to windows 8.1

I am not able to run the birt reports in eclipse after updating to windows 8.1 recently. Eclipse layout view works fine but when I run the report nothing happens. Below is the information I have when I debug report. Please suggest a way to fix this issue

Oct 19, 2013 5:09:02 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.vm.ReportVMServer start
INFO: [Server] client accepted
Oct 19, 2013 5:09:02 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.vm.ReportVMServer$1 run
INFO: [Server] enter request dispatching
Oct 19, 2013 5:09:02 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.ReportLauncher configEngine
INFO: User class path received:
Oct 19, 2013 5:09:03 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask handleFatalExceptions
SEVERE: An error happened while running the report. Cause:
org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Failed to initialize emitter.
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.EmitterUtil.getOuputStream(EmitterUtil.java:82)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.html.HTMLReportEmitter.initialize(HTMLReportEmitter.java:356)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask.initializeContentEmitter(EngineTask.java:2286)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunAndRenderTask.doRun(RunAndRenderTask.java:118)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunAndRenderTask.run(RunAndRenderTask.java:77)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.ReportLauncher.createReport(ReportLauncher.java:600)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.ReportLauncher.renderReport(ReportLauncher.java:547)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.ReportLauncher.run(ReportLauncher.java:461)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.ReportLauncher.main(ReportLauncher.java:105)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.ReportDebugger.start(ReportDebugger.java:39)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: new_report.rptdesign.html (Access is denied)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:212)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:165)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.EmitterUtil.getOuputStream(EmitterUtil.java:77)
... 22 more

Oct 19, 2013 5:09:03 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.ReportLauncher renderReport
SEVERE: Engine exception
org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Failed to initialize emitter.
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.EmitterUtil.getOuputStream(EmitterUtil.java:82)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.html.HTMLReportEmitter.initialize(HTMLReportEmitter.java:356)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask.initializeContentEmitter(EngineTask.java:2286)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunAndRenderTask.doRun(RunAndRenderTask.java:118)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunAndRenderTask.run(RunAndRenderTask.java:77)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.ReportLauncher.createReport(ReportLauncher.java:600)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.debug.internal.core.launcher.<span style

Comments

• I am not able to preview the birt reports in eclipse after I upgraded my computer to win 8.1 from win 8. Layout view works fine, but when I preview the report in Eclipse (preview tab) nothing happens (blank page).

The Preview tab doesn't work, but when I chose 'View report as HTML' then the report is correctly displayed in a web browser.

When I use a parameter in the report, then I can't pick a value after I press the preview tab in Eclipse.

I'm having the same problems on both Birt versions that I use - Birt 3.7 as well on Birt 4.2

• Hi Alex K. I am having the exactly same problem like you. Please post here in case you find a solution. Unfortunately I am not able to revert to Windows 8 as the restore process is not completing. 

• I had the same problem with a blank page and when parameters were involved, the parameter window didn't load up.

I think I've found a way around it, though it doesn't work in preview mode:

In report designer go to Window>Preferences>Report Design>Preview and set "always use external browsers" to true. Click Apply.

While still in the preferences tab, go to General>Web Browser and select "Use external web browser" and select the browser you would like to test on.

This has enabled me to continue development on windows 8, though it is not ideal!

I hope this helps!