Combining multiple rptdesign / multiple datasources to produce one PDF

jakoby84
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hi,
I developed a web service architecture where the user can specify some filter criteria and then produce one out of 5+ reports. Either this is displayed in the browser or the user gets a PDF back. So far, so good.

Now I want to create some kind of batch process. So the user defines the filter criteria, chooses which reports to be generated and then in the backend I want to create ONE single PDF file containing all chosen reports. I think that I will not succeed to do it with subreports because 1) the data is dynamic and each report has a different dataset (which is provided in a Java List<String, List<String>> object which I pass into the single reports). And 2) from my understanding in subreports every possible subreport has to be specified, which doesn't let me add potential future reports without having to modify the whole subreport document, right?

So, well, I just don't really have an idea how to go with it and I am very thankful for every input which brings some light into the problem!
All the best, Jakob
Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Comments

• jakoby84
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    PUSH -- Any ideas about how to achieve that? I kindly appreciate any input! :)
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    After generating the pdf files, with BIRT, you could use iText to combine the files.

Another option could be to create a single design with the different reports within the same report, then, based on the user's parameter selection, you could drop the unneeded elements, or "reports", from the main report. You could define a dataSource / dataSet for each individual "report". If a certain "report" is not wanted, dropping the elements that use it's dataSet would cause the dataSet to never be executed, so you wouldn't need to worry about this.
  • jakoby84
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="115533" data-time="1364575378" data-date="29 March 2013 - 09:42 AM"><p>
    After generating the pdf files, with BIRT, you could use iText to combine the files.<br />
    <br />
    Another option could be to create a single design with the different reports within the same report, then, based on the user's parameter selection, you could drop the unneeded elements, or "reports", from the main report. You could define a dataSource / dataSet for each individual "report". If a certain "report" is not wanted, dropping the elements that use it's dataSet would cause the dataSet to never be executed, so you wouldn't need to worry about this.<br /></p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Well the problem with the second approach is that in my current architecture I do some pre-processing with the data on the java side and then push the data to the report via the list: task.getAppContext().put("data", <myList>);. Of course I could change the architecture but this would add some more complexity.<br />
    Furthermore, I don't really like the idea of having all reports in just one rptdesign. But that may just be a personal preference and may be worth thinking about again.<br />
    <br />
    But I will definitely check the first approach with iText.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks (as always) for your response and valuable input! Cheers, Jakob
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    You're welcome. Let me know the result and if you get stuck.
  • <p>Hi,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>  I tried to combine a pdf which is coming from webservice, the requirement is a rptdesign has been built, during the run time i need to merge a pdf which is coming from webservice.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I have built one report which will have a parameter in which i will give the webservice link which contains the pdf, this is working fine , when i integrate in my main degsign itw not working, i have used the embed tag to call the link in text fields.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Is there any other way i can merge the pdf?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks in advance</p>