Dashboard Data Set Parameters

Belmont
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<div>Is it possible to have the data selectors operate in such a way that they can link to a report parameter within a data set or data object, and have those data sets return results based on those inputs from the selector within the dashboard editor?</div>
<div> </div>
<div>From what I can tell, it's not possible, since those selectors are considered to be interactive filters, rather than actual parameters for queries. So a whole result set must be returned first before a data selector can be utilized. But I wanted to verify that this is the case.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>If it's not possible, is there a workaround?</div>

Comments

• <p>There are two ways.:</p>
    <ol><li>Use a library. Instead of using a report with the visualization use a library. This will do to things. First, ff the data selectors use the same data object as the visual the visual will automatically filter. Second, the visual will automatically resize based on the size of the gadget.</li>
    <li>You can manual link the selector to the report parameter by clicking on the link option of the gadget menu.</li>
    </ol>
  • Belmont
    edited April 17, 2017 #3
    <div>Thanks for your response, mblock.</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>To make some clarifications:</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>-There is no report design gadget on my dashboard.</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>-There is no parameter gadget on my dashboard, since this gadget seems to require a report design to reference.</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>-The report parameters are defined in the data object and data sets, and this data object is what my dashboard references. This data object also contains a collection of my data sets. So lets say I have a data set called ds_things, and in that data set is a query that should return a list of things between a set of dates. For simplicity's sake, lets make the start date a fixed value for the query, but the end date is a parameter, in which case the end date is defined in the query with a ?, and the parameter in that data set will reference a report parameter called rp_endDate.</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>How can I reference rp_endDate from a Calendar gadget, with that Calendar gadget linked to a meter chart that represents an aggregated count of results, if possible? This would basically be the result of querying from a data selector gadget. Currently, my dashboard only has a meter chart and calendar gadget, which point to the same data set within the same data object. </div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>Also, if I have to create a library instead, I'm just trying to understand how I should approach that from this scenario.</div>
  • <p>Are you planning on using a data design as the source for your dashboards? I would highly discourage that as it will cause a query for every gadget on every click of a selector. This is against basic best practices for data objects and dashboards. Without knowing more about your complete requirements I cannot recommend anything specific. May I recommend that you contact our professional services as they can work with you for the best possible architecture for your application. </p>
  • <p>Another clarification:</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>-The data source for the two gadgets in my case would be ds_things, not the whole data object altogether. These two gadgets just happen to share the same source/data set within the same data object, since they're linked together.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I'm just playing around with the dashboard functionality for educational purposes. All I wanted to know is if it's possible to pass a value from a data selector, such as a Calendar gadget, to a report parameter defined in a data set, and how to do so. But looking at the documentation, that seems to state that data selectors are just interactive filters. So a result set must be returned first, and the data selectors are there to filter out the data based on those selections, and don't actually insert values into a data set (or in this case, source) as specified parameters based on user selection. That's just how I interpreted it. </p>
  • <p>First, my recommendation is to use a Data Model always (another best practices).</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Second, yes you can link a calendar selector gadget to a report parameter using the link menu item I mentioned above.</p>
  • <p>I'm always open to utilizing best practices. I'll go ahead and try that out. Thank you for your help.</p>
  • <p>I would still recommend a best practice session with professional services. Learning right the first time will save you down the road.</p>