How to make html report output editable

bugsy
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>I have a BIRT report that is output in html (4.01).  The report outputs a table which needs to be editable by the user, with the user's changes then saved to the database.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone know how to make fields in an html report editable?  I read about using contenteditable but cannot figure out how to implement this in a BIRT table.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My BIRT version is 4.3.0.2.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas appreciated.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Comments

• <p>Generally, reports are read-only and there is no connection back to the database, however, since BIRT lets you include HTML as part of the output you can use that to create form posts back to waiting servlets or other processes to update the database. Search for "textbox and button in BIRT" and you'll find lots of examples on the Internet. In your example using a table, instead of displaying Data controls, you'll use the TEXT control and set it to HTML inside the editor. Then, replace one or more field that you want editable. In my example, the form displays the current postal code, lets you change it, then send that value back a servlet named HelloForm.</p>
    <pre class="_prettyXprint _lang-html">
    <form action="HelloForm" method="POST">
    <input type="text" name="Post_code<VALUE-OF>row.__rownum</VALUE-OF>" value="<VALUE-OF>row["POSTALCODE"]</VALUE-OF>">
    <input type="submit" value="Update" />
    </form>
    </pre>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <p>Thank you! Got it working.  I appreciate your response.</p>