Birt Report View hangs up

Options
newbie321
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>Hi, all:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent BIRT report viewer from hanging up during the report presentation process.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a perfectly legit .rptdesign (let's say Text element with a static text ("Hello world") in it).  From RCP it would render just fine one, second time, and so on up until the RCP birt report viewer would go into this infinite 'Processing, please wait' loop.  See attached screenshot.  </p>
<p>The only solution that I found that solves this issue is to force close the eclipse and restart it.  Then the report would render just fine as expected.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am pretty sure this is a common problem.  Anyone has a better fix for it other than restarting an entire eclipse?  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>

Comments

• <p>What version of the BIRT RCP Designer are you using?</p>
    <p>Can you replicate this behavior consistently after a specific number of views?</p>
    <p>If so, about how many views?</p>
    <p>Can you replicate this behavior with any report design?</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <p>Hi, JFreeman!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I am using BIRT 4.5.  This type of behavior is observed on pretty much all of the report designs that run through RCP.  The frequency of occurrence is not regular though.   If I try to render about 20 times, then I am pretty much guaranteed to have it BIRThang up.  Whether it's going to hang up on the 4th or 5th or 10th render, it is purely random.  </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>My hunch is the BIRT generator does not close its instance (or some process does not get closed) and when birt tries to render again, it waits until the previous instance closes and hence feel of a 'hang-up'.  Force closing eclipse, closes everything and it surely solves the problem, but this solution is sort of like 'treating the illness by killing the patient'.  </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Maybe there is some additional option that I need to setup in my .ini files or something along these lines?</p>
    <p>
    Thanks!! </p>
  • <p>I just ran a report about 50 times through the BIRT RCP Designer and did not experience any issues or hang ups.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Have you made any changes to the configuration of the designer after downloading it?</p>
    <p>Can you attach the BIRT.ini from your installation directory?</p>
    <p>Can you attach a sample report based on classic models or a flat file data source that replicates the issue in your environment?</p>
  • <p>Sure, let me do that tonight when I get back home.  I should post the .rptdesign  this evening.  </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks again, #JFreeman</p>
  • newbie321
    edited August 20, 2015 #6
    Options
    <p>Hello, attached is the sample report that 'hangs' birt previewer.  I added some simple javascript in there.  On average this report hangs 2 out of 3 times.  This what I have been doing before birt previewer goes into the infinite loop...</p>
    <p>I would go to 'Script' tab and start editing some simple script.  </p>
    <p>Then I would press 'play/render' button available in a 'Report Designer' perspective.  </p>
    <p>Once the button is pressed,  the birt previewer either goes into infinite generation loop (hangs) or renders the report perfectly fine.  </p>
    <p>Again on this report I get 2 out of 3 'hangs'...</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Can anyone duplicate it?</p>
  • <p>I cannot duplicate with that report still.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>What version of java are you using?</p>
    <p>What browser are you using?</p>
  • <p>I am using the default birt previewer browser.  Attached is the screenshot for the Preferences|Report Design|Preview options.  I am not using any of the external browsers.  </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I am running java 1.7</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks! </p>
  • <p>Gotcha, I will see about testing with 1.7 JDK and the bundled preview browser.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>In parallel, can you switch to using an external browser such as Chrome or FireFox?</p>
    <p>Using an external browser is typically a better choice versus the bundled browser.</p>
  • <p>Dear All,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>  Is there any way we can skip the report from hanging , what happening in my case is, there are 100 reports if any one of the report is having error in query or some other issue, it hangs all the reports and it leads to me restarting the tomcat again.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Is there any method that i can skip and run other reports parallely without hanging</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks</p>
    <p>M. Gangadhar</p>