Migrating from iHub2 to iHub3

ygrument
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>Hello BIRT Experts,</p>
<p>I'm working on the preliminary project of migrating iHub2 to iHub16. We have multiple volumes on iHub2. I found no description of direct migration procedure from iHub2 to iHub16.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was told by OpenText Support that first I need migrate from iHub2 to iHub3 and then "an over the top installation to iHub16".</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I found the descriptions of migration procedures from iHu3 -> iHub3.1, iHub3 - > iHub3.1.1, iHub3.1 -> iHub16, except iHub2 -> iHub3. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have idea how to do migration except one thing - migrating volumes metadata. I know that there were big structural changes in metadata database.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please, share your real experience with migrating iHub2 to iHub3, and how you dealt with migrating volumes metadata.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Comments

• <p>ygrument,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>There is not a direct install path to migrate from iHub 2 to iHub 3.</p>
    <p>Doing so involves a number of steps, and due to the complexity, we suggest strongly engaging our Professional Services department on the same.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks!</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <p>Hi Rian,</p>
    <p>Thank you for your response!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I’m still wondering if there is other then “we suggest strongly engaging our Professional Services department” way to upgrade iHub2 product?</p>
    <p>I don’t need to go though the “number of steps” because I’ve already covered all of them except only one - migrating volumes metadata.</p>
    <p>Between iHub2 and iHub3 there is only one substantial difference – iHub2 stores metadata in one db schema, and iHub (>=3) stores metadata using principle one volume – one db schema.</p>
    <p>So, if I create multiple volumes schemas using command line volumes creation tool on iHub(>=3), would it be so difficult to run another tool (which I desperately try to find) , that will scan iHub2 db schema, and copy records into multiple schemas of target db). Is it something of a big complexity?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I also wonder if there are other big companies, receiving big money for licenses and support,  which don’t provide any migration tools when upgrading from one version to another? At least, I don’t know such ones.</p>
  • RSiegler
    edited June 30, 2017 #4
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="ygrument" data-cid="148007" data-time="1498736647">
    <div>
    <p>Hi Rian,</p>
    <p>Thank you for your response!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I’m still wondering if there is other then “we suggest strongly engaging our Professional Services department” way to upgrade iHub2 product?</p>
    <p>I don’t need to go though the “number of steps” because I’ve already covered all of them except only one - migrating volumes metadata.</p>
    <p>Between iHub2 and iHub3 there is only one substantial difference – iHub2 stores metadata in one db schema, and iHub (>=3) stores metadata using principle one volume – one db schema.</p>
    <p>So, if I create multiple volumes schemas using command line volumes creation tool on iHub(>=3), would it be so difficult to run another tool (which I desperately try to find) , that will scan iHub2 db schema, and copy records into multiple schemas of target db). Is it something of a big complexity?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I also wonder if there are other big companies, receiving big money for licenses and support,  which don’t provide any migration tools when upgrading from one version to another? At least, I don’t know such ones.</p>
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Ygrument,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I would suggest contacting Support in regards to this issue, as my understanding is that there were enough changes to the metadata database table structure (IE - removal of roles, different tables, different columns, etc.) that requires multiple steps in order to effectively migrate the data to iHub 3 from iHub 2.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>-Ryan</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb