access to content server from an external network

danonino
edited June 8, 2011 in Documentum #1

I have a simple DFC program that connect to Documentum and do some things in the content server. This program works all right if I execute it in any computer  of the same network where is installed the content server. But my problem is that I need to execute this program since an external network. From  that external network, I have visibility to the content server`s machine and port configured in the dfc.properties- I know it because I test with a command telnet <content server IP> 1489 and the connection is succesfull -. But my program doesn´t connect to the content server, so I guess that I need something more that the access to the IP and Port. ¿Do I need a client software to access?. ¿Could it be a license problem?, ¿Is it necessary to make a remote desktop?. ,

I´m very ignorant in this kind of things about networks and architecture because I´m only a programmer, I need help, please,

Thanks

Comments

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 4, 2011 #2

Sounds like your that there is a firewall in between internal and external network.  I believe in the Content Server Admin Install Guide (or Admin Guide), there should be a section about how to set up docbrokers to support IP translation.  This will allow communication between client and CS via firewall.

• danonino
    edited May 4, 2011 #3

yes, but if the problem were a firewall, I wouldn´t connect to the servers machine with the command: telnet <content server ip> <content server port>.

Don´t you think?

• Nishant
    edited May 4, 2011 #4

Can you post the error you are getting?

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 4, 2011 #5

Do you have DFC installed on the external computer or have dfc.jar included in your DFC app?

• danonino
    edited May 4, 2011 #6

Yes of course. My DFC App is an Eclipse Java Project with his DFC libraries and with the config folder with the dfc.properties appointing to the content server. The program that I execute inside the network is exactly the same progran that I execute outside the network, but from outside it doen´t work OK. I will copy/paste the console lines tomorrow when it produces the mistake, so maybe you would have more specified idea about the problem. But I repeat: I guess that I need something more than the accessibility to the Content Server machine IP from outside, I don´t know what: a client software, a license, an accessibility from the same content server and not only the machine which is installed....I don´t know what, but I´m sure I need something more than the access to the machine. I´m sure I see the server from outside because I test with the command telnet <ip> <port> and the result is possitive.

John, do you still think that it could be a firewall problem although my command test - telnet <ip> <port> - produced a possitive result??

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 4, 2011 #7

There is no "license" issuing from executing internal vs external network.  I'm not a firewall expert, but you might want to check if your network folks to see if they are allowing all protocols through that port.  There is slight possibility that whatever protocol Documentum client connects to server might be blocked while telnet is allowed.

• Swati.Bhatia
    edited May 5, 2011 #8

You may run network traffic analyser tools like Wireshark, tcpdump, etc. on the client and server machine to understand if the request is reaching the server machine. This will also show what port is being accessed and what protocol is being used.

• dnvhariprasad
    edited May 5, 2011 #9

Another possibility I can think of is trusted authentication.

problem can be identified if we see the log files.

• sagar.singh
    edited May 5, 2011 #10

can you please make please try by replacing the ip with the host-name(vice-versa). also please post the error trace coming, along with the environment OS etc,..

• danonino
    edited May 5, 2011 #11

So,

- I believe what John say that´s not a license problem, so I rule out this hipothesis.

- Respect you told me Sagar, I´ve tested using both IP and hostname in the dfc.properties and the result is the same...

- I´ve analyzed the traffic and it use two ports more: 1.500 and 1.504. I´m going to open this ports and test again. But I think it would be strange to have to check the ports with a traffic analyzer program every time you need to configure a connection from an externat network!!. I´ve asked to the system administrator to open this ports, but this simple thing can require a lot of hours, maybe days...I hope they do it quickly!!!

• sagar.singh
    edited May 5, 2011 #12

can you please send the Eclipse project console trace. Hope we can get some pointers from there,,,, 

• danonino
    edited May 5, 2011 #13

Sagar, this is the log4j results:

0 [main] ERROR com.documentum.fc.common.impl.logging.LoggingConfigurator  - Problem locating log4j configuration
    16 [main] WARN com.documentum.fc.common.impl.logging.LoggingConfigurator  - Using default log4j configuration
    107578 [main] WARN com.documentum.fc.client.impl.bof.classmgmt.ModuleManager  - [DFC_BOF_COULDNT_CONNECT_TO_REGISTRY] Unable to connect to module registry, docbase name desdocum_01 username dm_bof_registry.
    DfServiceException:: THREAD: main; MSG: [DFC_SESSION_DOCBASE_UNREACHABLE] Docbase "desdocum_01" is unreachable; ERRORCODE: ff; NEXT: null
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.establishNewRpcClient(DocbaseConnection.java:259)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.open(DocbaseConnection.java:122)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.<init>(DocbaseConnection.java:96)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.<init>(DocbaseConnection.java:60)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnectionFactory.newDocbaseConnection(DocbaseConnectionFactory.java:26)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnectionManager.getDocbaseConnection(DocbaseConnectionManager.java:74)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionFactory.newSession(SessionFactory.java:29)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.PrincipalAwareSessionFactory.newSession(PrincipalAwareSessionFactory.java:35)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.PooledSessionFactory.newSession(PooledSessionFactory.java:47)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionManager.getSessionFromFactory(SessionManager.java:111)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionManager.newSession(SessionManager.java:64)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionManager.getSession(SessionManager.java:168)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.bof.classmgmt.ModuleManager.connect(ModuleManager.java:356)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.bof.classmgmt.ModuleManager.init(ModuleManager.java:311)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.bof.classmgmt.ModuleManager.getInstance(ModuleManager.java:36)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.security.impl.DfcIdentityPublisher.<init>(DfcIdentityPublisher.java:44)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.security.internal.RegistrationMgr.register(RegistrationMgr.java:34)
        at com.documentum.fc.impl.RuntimeContext.<clinit>(RuntimeContext.java:191)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.DfClient.<clinit>(DfClient.java:721)
        at com.documentum.com.DfClientX.getLocalClient(DfClientX.java:43)
        at ConnectDFC.DCTM.getSession(DCTM.java:51)
        at ConnectDFC.DCTM.openSession(DCTM.java:21)
        at ConnectDFC.Main.main(Main.java:11)
    209453 [main] WARN com.documentum.fc.client.impl.bof.classmgmt.ModuleManager  - [DFC_BOF_COULDNT_CONNECT_TO_REGISTRY] Unable to connect to module registry, docbase name desdocum_01 username dm_bof_registry.
    DfServiceException:: THREAD: main; MSG: [DFC_SESSION_DOCBASE_UNREACHABLE] Docbase "desdocum_01" is unreachable; ERRORCODE: ff; NEXT: null
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.establishNewRpcClient(DocbaseConnection.java:259)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.open(DocbaseConnection.java:122)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.<init>(DocbaseConnection.java:96)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnection.<init>(DocbaseConnection.java:60)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnectionFactory.newDocbaseConnection(DocbaseConnectionFactory.java:26)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.connection.docbase.DocbaseConnectionManager.getDocbaseConnection(DocbaseConnectionManager.java:74)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionFactory.newSession(SessionFactory.java:29)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.PrincipalAwareSessionFactory.newSession(PrincipalAwareSessionFactory.java:35)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.PooledSessionFactory.newSession(PooledSessionFactory.java:47)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionManager.getSessionFromFactory(SessionManager.java:111)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionManager.newSession(SessionManager.java:64)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.session.SessionManager.getSession(SessionManager.java:168)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.bof.classmgmt.ModuleManager.connect(ModuleManager.java:356)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.impl.bof.classmgmt.ModuleManager.getGlobalRegistrySession(ModuleManager.java:238)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.security.impl.DfcIdentityPublisher.<init>(DfcIdentityPublisher.java:44)
        at com.documentum.fc.client.security.internal.RegistrationMgr.register(RegistrationMgr.java:34)
    209453 [main] WARN com.documentum.fc.client.security.internal.RegistrationMgr  - [DFC_SECURITY_GR_PUBLICATION_FAILED] Publication of DFC instance with global registry failed
    DfException:: THREAD: main; MSG: [DFC_BOF_GLOBAL_REGISTRY_UNAVAILABLE] Unable to connect to the global registry no session; ERRORCODE: ff; NEXT: null
        at com.documentum.fc.client.security.impl.DfcIdentityPublisher.<init>(DfcIdentityPublisher.java:55)

• sagar.singh
    edited May 5, 2011 #14

Your logs suggest that global repository is not configured properly or global password  parameter value in dfc.properties does'nt have the correct values.

Please make sure that you have a global repository configured and password is properly encrypted in the dfc.properties.

Kindly reconfirm the password in the parameter "dfc.globalregistry.password" is correct by regenerating by

>java -cp dfc.jar com.documentum.fc.tools.RegistryPasswordUtils password_of_user

compare the password and check if it is identical to your dfc.properties value.

If different then please change this value and try again..

hope it works..

• danonino
    edited May 5, 2011 #15

yes, I´m sure that the dfc.properties is right because it is exactly the same dfc.properties that I use in the program that works OK in the same network of the content server...

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 5, 2011 #16

Is your global registery on the same host as your repository?

• danonino
    edited May 5, 2011 #17

I don´t know it. How can I know it?. Do you know any way to research it or is it necessary to consult the documents intallation??

• ChandruKoteeswaran
    edited May 6, 2011 #18

I dont think the problem is with the global registry. Your program simply cannot reach the  Docbroker. Please try use Webtop or Samson  in the  same machine and see whether you can reach the docbase.

I usually use "ping  <Content Server IP> "  to check connectivity. I am not aware of telnet.

• danonino
    edited June 9, 2011 #19

I got access to the content  server!!. I used the Wireshark - it´s a traffic analyzer - and I found  out that the content server connection not only uses the 1489 port that  you indicate in the dfc.properties. It uses too the 1.500 and 1.504  ports - I don´t know exactly why but I don´t mind - , so when they  opened me this two ports from the server I could have a connection with  Documentum since my network...

THANK YOU!