Vertical lines not right

JDH
JDH
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
I have attached a BIRT project that attempts to draw a broken line. It should draw a vertical line from (1,2) to (1,4) then a horizontal line from (6,8) to (7,8) then a sloped line from (7,8) to (8,11) and finally a vertical line from (10,11) to (10,13). The database has some extra data points but I unchecked the "Connect Missing Values" in the Y Series so they should be ignored.

I have attached a .png of the database, a .pgn of the output chart as well as the rptdesign file.

Please tell my why the vertical lines are drawn the way they are. Instead of the way I asked them to be drawn?

BIRT appears to be adding the vertical values together then plotting them as a single point??

Thanks.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Comments

• mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Hi John,

I don't think the line chart is designed to draw vertical lines. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case. You might check the grouping on the chart by clicking on the grouping and sorting button next to the x-axis category in the chart editor and make sure that grouping is not selected. I don't know that this will make a difference though. My guess is that you'll probably have to request an enhancement for this or create your own chart type to be able to do this.
  • pricher
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Hi,

You can do it with a Scatter Chart. I have attached a design with data in a flat file as an example. Scatter charts plot points on a X,Y axis. Line charts plot values of a series (Y axis) for categories (X axis). Big difference!

Hope this helps!

P.
  • @pricher said:
    Hi,

You can do it with a Scatter Chart. I have attached a design with data in a flat file as an example. Scatter charts plot points on a X,Y axis. Line charts plot values of a series (Y axis) for categories (X axis). Big difference!

Hope this helps!

P.

@prichter ,

I can not seem to find the file you attached. Where is it?

Thanks,