Can birt's scatter plot correctly render two points having the same x-values?

newbie321
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

I am trying to make a plot of two points having the following coordinates:
p1=(5,+20)
p2=(5,-20)

Normally, I would use scatter plot (excel, matlab etc) and these tools would render two points correctly (ie one point is below another and a vertical line could be drawn between these two points)

However, I am having some serious difficulties doing the same in BIRT. I choose my dataset of two points, choose the scatter plot, ungroup anything along the a-axis. However, the Birt just spreads same valued x coordinates across the x-axis and does not appear to render two points at the right coordinates.

Is there any trick to getting true scatter plot in Birt or scatter plot is an impossibility within Birt?

Thanks,

1st chart is from excel (scatter plot)
2nd chart is from birt (scatter plot)

Best Answer

• jfranken
    #2 Answer ✓

In the example I created (see attached), all of the points display as the same color. Can you see anything you are doing differently that might affect the color?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Answers

• In the chart editor, go to the Select Data tab and disable grouping on the X axis. The choose the Format Chart tab, select "X-axis" on the left, and uncheck the checkbox labeled "Is Category Axis".

• @jfranken said:
    In the chart editor, go to the Select Data tab and disable grouping on the X axis. The choose the Format Chart tab, select "X-axis" on the left, and uncheck the checkbox labeled "Is Category Axis".

Thanks for much! your suggestion worked like a charm. Now I see the scatter plot indeed.
    One more related question... on a scatter plot, all of the plotted points are shown in different colors as they feed of the color palette. I removed all the colors from palette except one and still each point has its own color. Is there any way to make the points all the same color?

Thanks!

• jfranken
    #5 Answer ✓

In the example I created (see attached), all of the points display as the same color. Can you see anything you are doing differently that might affect the color?

• Thanks so much for the .rptdesign!! the issue was 'color by categories' vs 'color by value series'. Did not realize that up until your report.
    Thanks again!!

@jfranken said: