Anyone extended birt's charting capabilites by using external charting libraries?

newbie321
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

I think I read somewhere that one (in theory) can use external charting libraries within BIRT framework.

Has anyone succeeded bringing external charting tools under Birt's umbrella? Are there any tutorials that explain how to do that?

Thanks,

Best Answer

• This question remains Unanswered

Please note that questions to the developer network are typically peer-to-peer, best effort responses. The question has been marked Accepted Answer for auditing purposes but remains open to your answers, suggestions, and best practices.

David Sciuto

Answers

• David Sciuto
    edited June 29, 2018 #3

Can you help answer this question?

We have noticed this question is over 30 days old and hasn't received a response. We're turning to you, the community, to help answer it.

This generic response is intended to prompt discussion in this post. The question remains open to your answers, suggestions, and best practices.

If you posted this question, what additional information can you provide to help us respond to you? Were able to resolve the issue? Please share your solution here with others. If you still need additional help, though, please let us know. Your question and its resolution are important to us, and we want to help.

• Please note that questions to the developer network are typically peer-to-peer, best effort responses.
    • Additionally, note that posting questions to General may not be answered by a product expert. The General forum is for non-product questions. Please be sure to post your product-specific questions to the proper product forum.

David Sciuto

• This question remains Unanswered

Please note that questions to the developer network are typically peer-to-peer, best effort responses. The question has been marked Accepted Answer for auditing purposes but remains open to your answers, suggestions, and best practices.

David Sciuto

• @David Sciuto said:
    Can you help answer this question?

We have noticed this question is over 30 days old and hasn't received a response. We're turning to you, the community, to help answer it.

This generic response is intended to prompt discussion in this post. The question remains open to your answers, suggestions, and best practices.

If you posted this question, what additional information can you provide to help us respond to you? Were able to resolve the issue? Please share your solution here with others. If you still need additional help, though, please let us know. Your question and its resolution are important to us, and we want to help.

• Please note that questions to the developer network are typically peer-to-peer, best effort responses.
    • Additionally, note that posting questions to General may not be answered by a product expert. The General forum is for non-product questions. Please be sure to post your product-specific questions to the proper product forum.

Thanks for replying. Your reply did not solve my question though...

• Just for everyones benefit: I NEVER accepted any answers since NO answers were provided.

Moderators forced that choice onto my original inquiry themselves

• You didn't mention what designer you are using. I strongly recommend using Analytics Designer Professional if possible. The latest version as of this post is 16.4. It includes built in support for Highcharts (with Highstock, https://highcharts.com/stock/demo). You can also create custom visualizations to add these (and others) to your reports:

https://d3js.org/
    https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery?hl=en
    visjs.org/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Thanks @jfranken !

i am using open source BIRT 4.7. The architecture is open there so I assume it is possible to use external charts.
    is there any tutorials on how to add 3rd party charting objects into BIRT 4.7 (open source) ?

Thanks!

• I did a quick search and unfortunately I did not find a tutorial, but this thread provides a very good overview:

https://communities.opentext.com/forums/discussion/59678/any-possibility-of-using-highchart-driven-charts-with-birt

If I find a tutorial I will post it.

• @jfranken,

back in the days... in the days of Jason Weatherby, there were some really good overviews on many such nuances. However, all of those articles have somehow long disappeared.... Not sure if that was done by organically or on purpose. But there is a way to bring in an external charting libraries into the birt through extension points if I recall correctly. I do not know remember the details.

Any chance, someone at OpenText could write out the tutorial on that and post it in the open domain?

Thanks!

• Jason was prolific. I don't know what happened to his old forum posts. I have found articles on other types of extension points, but not chart extension points. I'll see if I can locate another resource. If you get a chance to try commercial BIRT, check out the HTML5 charts and Custom Visualization elements and see if either of those meet your requirements.