variable coordinate density along x-axis.... is it possible?

newbie321
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

Let's say I have two x,y stream I would like to plot:

BAR plot:

x | y

50 | 10
10 | 1
20 | 2

LINE plot:

x1 | y1

0.1 | 1
0.2 | 1
0.3 | 1
0.4 | 1
0.5 | 1

As you can see x-coordinates for two series are of different densities.

Is it possible to have multiple independent x-axes in BIRT Charts that superpose on top of each other when plotting multiple datasets?

Best Answer

• jfranken
    #2 Answer ✓

In BIRT Designer Professional, you can add an axis in code using the Highcharts addAxis() method. However, Highcharts is not supported in Open Source BIRT. I don't know of a method to add an axis to a chart that does not utilize the Highcharts API. I believe you have another post where there was an example of how to add text to a chart, reposition the text, and format it. It might be possible to make one or more text labels look like an extra axis.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Answers

• jfranken
    #3 Answer ✓

In BIRT Designer Professional, you can add an axis in code using the Highcharts addAxis() method. However, Highcharts is not supported in Open Source BIRT. I don't know of a method to add an axis to a chart that does not utilize the Highcharts API. I believe you have another post where there was an example of how to add text to a chart, reposition the text, and format it. It might be possible to make one or more text labels look like an extra axis.

• @jfranken said:

Thanks!
    Yes, I think I am at a point where I will start spending some time on how to introduce new charting elements into my copy of BIRT.
    I am not able to use Birt Designer Professional as I do not have any $$ to pay whatever fees are. So I am effectively stuck with open-source BIRT framework, which I like working in anyway as gives me an opportunity to tinker with code.

• There is a free trial license for the Professional Designer here:
    https://opentext.com/products-and-solutions/products/analytics/opentext-analytics-product-downloads/analytics-designer-download

Unfortunately, any reports that contain HTML5 charts can't be run in the Open Source Designer or on the OS engine. However, it might be interesting for you to see the charting capabilities of HTML5 (Highcharts) charts. When you select HTML5 as the output type in the chart editor, a new tab is displayed called "Scripting". You can write JavaScript to customize the chart (including adding chart.getCore().addAxis() in the afterRendering event). There is also a Custom Visualization report element that allows you to import 3rd party charts like https://d3js.org/ and integrate them with the report data.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but you said you like to tinker. :)