Pass Current User to Custom Menu Item Script

This can't be a new problem, but using the search feature in this forum is maddening. Has anyone been able to successfully pass as a parameter the user who is selecting a custom menu item script - ideally to a perl script? If so, can you please tell me how you did it?

Comments

• Hi @David Smith - I would like to know more about the search experience you are having here.

One option is to Follow the category, then when you perform a search you can quickly choose to search within 'followed categories':
    https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/183601/what-is-category-following#latest

You can email me directly kweir@opentext.com .

• You should show_env.cgi on your server and check it out. Edit TeamSite/local/conf/lib/content_center/customer_src/etc/conf/customer/ui_custom.xml

and put this in the iwov-ui node:

<action-list id="iw.ccpro.filesys.menubar">
        <menu id="iw.ccpro.file.menu">
                <link id="custom.corp.ccpro.file_menu.project_actions.link"
                      label="ShowEnv"
                      url="/iw-bin/show_env.cgi"
                      windowFeatures="width=640,height=545,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes"
                      target="_blank" />

</menu>
        </action-list>

Then run make_toolkit.ipl, that shows the variables in the cookie and the env that have the user ID.

In the cookie: iw_user
    Env variable: IWUSER

The perl will be something like this:

use TeamSite::CGI_lite;

$|=1;

$cgi = TeamSite::CGI_lite->new();
    $cgi->parse_data();

$cookie_user= $cgi->escape_html_data($cgi->{cookie}{"iw_user"});

$env_user = $cgi->escape_html_data($ENV{"IWUSER"});

• nipper
    edited November 20, 2018 #4

@Karen Weir said:
    Hi @David Smith - I would like to know more about the search experience you are having here.

One option is to Follow the category, then when you perform a search you can quickly choose to search within 'followed categories':
    https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/183601/what-is-category-following#latest

You can email me directly kweir@opentext.com .

Karen

IMHO, the biggest issue is the loss of old content (or the inability to find it). There are many enbedded links to devnet.interwoven.com/some/post/number which have the answer someone is looking for but the link is dead and there is no way to search for it. Just came up in the past several posts

Check this post for an example:

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/224635/error-in-deploy-task-redux#latest

• That solved it, Andy. for some reason, my CGI window won't close now with the original Javascript that was working fine when I was using the standard CGI module, but I should be able to solve that issue. Thanks my friend.

Regarding the search gripes, I do not like that when I'm in the TeamSite specific forum, which is the only thing I care about, I get search results from every other forum within OpenText. And also (this is probably fixable if I was to actually look at how to put together a search phrase properly, but I'm too lazy to do that), I am bewildered by how the search results break up my search phrasing and give me results for every single word I use and rarely give me great answers in the top 5 results. I often have to rephrase my search string a couple (or more) times to find what I am looking for and usually I don't find what I'm looking for, but I know it's out there in the abyss somewhere. I just don't have the patience to find the correct words to put together in the correct order and learn the search syntax. I'm too used to Google I guess - it just works the way you'd want it to.

• Thanks @David Smith
    I think the "Follow" feature will work well for the first point you make about getting results for all products. "Follow" will essentially hide every other forum from your view and let's you search only that one forum category. For the Search Suggestions, I'll take that to the development team to review.

• @Andy Knipp said:

Karen

IMHO, the biggest issue is the loss of old content (or the inability to find it). There are many enbedded links to devnet.interwoven.com/some/post/number which have the answer someone is looking for but the link is dead and there is no way to search for it. Just came up in the past several posts

Check this post for an example:

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/224635/error-in-deploy-task-redux#latest

Thanks @Andy Knipp - migrating sites with deep links is a challenge, but I will certainly bring this up to the development team again. We work closely with the previous forum 'owner' or contacts to help navigate the information prior to planning the move, but it looks like we need to rework this more.

• @Karen Weir I didn't even realize there were options like that to search with - I just put in my search phrase and hit the button. I would expect the default option to be search within my current silo (followed group or whatever you call it). That seems only logical to me - I mean how many people really are searching for something across all OpenText products? Maybe I'm being naive as only a TeamSite user, but I mainly want a very specific answer to a very specific thing I'm searching for. I'm also very selfish. :) Andy will attest to that.

TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs