Standalone DQL editor for Documentum 16.4

Hi ,

Is there any standalone DQL editor available for documentum 16.4 ? Other than the ones provided by DA. I am looking for tool which will make DQL API execution a bit simpler.

Regards
YG.

Answers

• HI, yevryid:

no , there is no Standard DQL editor from OpenText.

having said that, you can use DQMan latest version to connect to Documentum 16.4.

TOny

Tony Qiu
    Opentext ECD - SME

• Hi

Thanks for the reply. I tried DqMan but it does not connect from remote.Even though the server is accessible from DA. It just throws the error "Login Failed.Please try again."

There is no trace or log file available to look into .Any ideas on how to go about this?

Regards
    Yashashri.

• @yevryid said:
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. I tried DqMan but it does not connect from remote.Even though the server is accessible from DA. It just throws the error "Login Failed.Please try again."

There is no trace or log file available to look into .Any ideas on how to go about this?

Regards
    Yashashri.

Hi Yashashri,

If you can't connect using DQMan, you should check if docbase ports are open.

In Content Server, go to "/etc/services", and check the last lines of the file to get Docbase ports.

To check if the ports are already opened, you can just try to telnet the Content Service using docbase ports from DQMan workstation.
    If couldn't connect to CS via Telnet, than we figured it out why you're not able to successfully connect via DQMan.

This issue happens because DQMan connect directly with the docbase service, once it get answered by Docbroker.

If you need any further help, just let us know.

Best Regards,
    Tulio

• It seems that DqMan doesnt work with fresh install of CS 16.4, Same Dqman connects with 7.3 CS without any issues which resides in same network.

Anyone had luck connecting CS16.4 Linux/windows version with DQman. Im sure the Firewall is open

@hqiu ? @yevryid ?

• Yes, we did face issues with dqman. A colleague created a support note to help with the setup. I am unsure if it is the same problem you face but it does work with 16.4.

See KB10030004

Russell Kavanagh
    Documentum SME | Opentext

• I read something about installing correct DFC (16.4) on client side
    I read something about copying DMCL.INI to the dqman installation folder
    And somebody said this solved his problem: dqman.exe -r -u -p

Just some tips, not sure if any is usefull….

• gokul1989_1
    edited January 8, 2019 #8

Yes I got the solution from the KB10030004 article thanks everyone

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/224993/querying-utility-for-documentum-16-4#latest

• Hi, could you place the content of the article here since it doesn't seem to be accessible. Thanks.

• Resolution

The following configuration can be used to allow the tool to interact with latter versions of Documentum Server.
    1. Install dqMan 5 binaries if not already installed. Ensure your license file is in the dqMan folder.
    2. On client machine (do NOT install on Documentum Server), install DFC for the Documentum Server.
    3. Using the dfc.properties created during DFC installation copy it to the dqman/config folder.
    4. Copy the deprecated dmcl.dll file from an older Documentum Server (6.7 or older) and copy it to the dqMan folder.
    5. Start up dqMan and ensure you can create a new session to the Documentum Server and the repositories.

• Thanks a lot.

• Hi,

I was wondering if anyone got it to work.
    I am trying to get dqMan to work but is unsuccessful.

I have a Documentum CS 16.4 P10, and a fresh Windows 10 1709 client.
    Installed dqMan 5 and put in the license file. Installed DFC 16.4 (without patches) in D drive.
    Copied dfc.properties to dqman\config, copied the dmcl.dll in the KB to the dqman folder too.
    Able to telnet the docbroker and docbase ports too.

Not sure what else can be done.

• I applied these configurations to my (zipped + copied + unzipped) dqman 6 to connect to 16.4 repository:

• Some DFC 16.4 installation.
    • Check/Set environment variables:
      ClassPath: (dfc-user-dir)\config + (dfc-install-dir)\dctm.jar
      Path: (dfc-install-dir)\java(version)\jre\bin + (dfc-install-dir)\Shared + (dfc-user-dir)\config
      JAVA_HOME: (dfc-install-dir)\java(version)

• Hide DMCL files in dqman folder (by renaming to x-...) to enforce DFC usage: dmcl40.dll + dmcl.ini

Hints:

• Newer Content Server version 16.4 does not allow DMCL connection... you must use DFC to connect from dqman to Docbase.
    • Use 32-bit Java from DFC installation! Trying to use my other available Java-x64-portable seems to cause 32-64-bit trouble.
    • Better install DFC. Zip+Copy+Unzip of DFC may cause trouble detecting the DFC (you may have to use .bat startup or java.ini files on dqman launch... but that may be helpful to have several DFC versions available on 1 develop machine).

Have a look at my .bat file used to launch my dqman6 with (unzipped+copied) 32-bit DFC and Java 32-bit Portable:

set ClassPath=%ClassPath%;C:\Software\dctm\dfc\config;C:\Software\dctm\dfc\dctm.jar
    set Path=%Path%;C:\Software\Develop\Java\jdk8u181x32-portable\jre\bin;C:\Software\dctm\dfc\shared;C:\Software\dctm\dfc\config
    set JAVA_HOME=C:\Software\Develop\Java\jdk8u181x32-portable
    start /B C:\Software\dctm\dqMan6\dqman.exe

Hint:
    The "start /B" command option hides the CMD window from .bat file execution. Only dqman window opens ;)

• Why oh why, have they stopped DMCL connections?
    We are very dependable on old tools like DocLoader to use DMCL connections.
    This really a show stopper for us!!!

• Hi All,
    i too tried copying dfc.properties to config folder yet unable to get login screen in dqMan,
    Even copied the latest dfc.jar file to dqMan and config folder.
    Any help.

• Hi All,
    i too tried copying dfc.properties to config folder yet unable to get login screen in dqMan,

• Hi All,

• Hi All,

• Hi fmejwagner

"Better install DFC. Zip+Copy+Unzip of DFC may cause trouble detecting the DFC (you may have to use .bat startup or java.ini files on dqman launch... but that may be helpful to have several DFC versions available on 1 develop machine)."

What is the content of the java.ini file?
    thanks
    Cyrill

• Well... I use a .bat file to launch dqman... so I have no java.ini example for you.

But my colleague has posted his java.ini settings in our internal knowledge tool:

java_library_path="C:\Apps\Java\jre1.8.0_101_32\bin\client\jvm.dll"
    JAVA_OPTIONS=" -Xcheck:jni -XX:+RestoreMXCSROnJNICalls -Xmx256m"
    java_classpath = "dfc\lib164\dfc.jar;dfc\config"

• You can also use RepoInt for running DQL.
    Cheers
    Alain

• Hi
    Dqman worked fine with me when connecting in a non-secure mode. Once I have changed the connection mode to secure, it stopped working. I followed the instructions in the mentioned KB

• @fawazgi said:
    Hi
    Dqman worked fine with me when connecting in a non-secure mode. Once I have changed the connection mode to secure, it stopped working. I followed the instructions in the mentioned KB

Point to 32 bit version of java8 using the below environment variables and then retry again.

java_library_path - Point to ….JAVA_HOME\bin\client\jvm.dll
    PATH - Point to JAVA_HOME\bin folder.

I had similar kind of problem with composer, I was able to connect using non-secure mode but not with secure mode. It got resolved by using java8 version. May be the later versions of java have secure algorithms required to establish secure connection.

• I was able to get my DQMan 6 version work against Documentum CS 16.4.as a standalone package.

Download the DQman 6 and Install the license.
    Then ...

1. I just coped the dmcl.dll to the Dqman Home folder "C:\dqMan" from C:\dqMan\config
    2. I have installed DFC 16.4 .
    3. Then  copied the "Java 1.8 32 bit "  that come bundled with DFC16.4 from C:\Documentum to C:\dqMan
    I also copied the DFC.properties file into C:\dqMan\config

4. I created a java.ini file inside C:\dqMan

This is what it is inside my java.ini. ( all jars are taken from 1.6 DFC installation "shared" folder)

java_library_path="C:\dqMan\java\1.8.0_152\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll"
    JAVA_OPTIONS=” -Xcheck:jni -XX:+RestoreMXCSROnJNICalls -Xmx256m”
    java_classpath="C:\dqMan\config\aspectjrt.jar;C:\dqMan\config\commons-codec-1.10.jar;C:\dqMan\config\commons-lang-2.6.jar;C:\dqMan\config\dctm.jar;C:\dqMan\config\dfc.jar;C:\dqMan\config\log4j.jar;C:\dqMan\config"

Nothing else is needed DQman will now work seamlessly without any issues.
  • Please see my article with open text about "how can you connect the DQLTester tool to newer Documentum Server releases?"

KB16234522

• Back in December 2021, fme AG announces development of a new dqMan commercial version for administration of OpenText Documentum. With the new dqMan, users can expect the release of a revised version providing compatibility to current OpenText Documentum applications and feature enhancements like a new user interface offering an improved user experience. In addition, also full native support for x64 and Citrix support is planned. The release is planned for July 2022 and you can find the first information and a early bird discount for the upcoming dqMan here: http://www.dqman.com