Provide user two options to search parameter either with item code or item title

prince_iam
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

Dear Birt Mates,

I want to provide user two options for Birt List Parameters to either search for an item with Title or Code in Cascading Parameter. Please refer the screenshot below, User is selecting Item Title and the respective Item Code is displayed in the cascaded parameter list.

Now, I want a similar another cascading parameter where user can search for item code and item title should appear beneath it.

Please, bear in mind that at the backend my query is bound to display data for selected Item Code.

Comments

• You can create a second cascading parameter choosing either column as the value column. However, the interface won't be very intuitive and the filtering could be complex. Can you elaborate on what is not working?

Also, what is the relationship between Title and Code? From the screenshot data, it looks like it is 1-to-1. Each Title corresponds to one code and vice versa. Cascading parameters are almost always used in 1-to-many relationships, i.e. a school has many students but a student goes to one school. The user picks a school from the first list and the second list shows its students.

For a 1-to-1 relationship where the user might want to filter on either value, a better option might be to concatenate the two values into a single parameter, i.e. create one list like:

CS001 - Sugar
    CS002 - Salt
    CS003 - Pepper

You can create a computed column in the Data Set to concatenate the two values to use as the display value. Pass just the code column value to the report as the data value. I don't know all of your requirements, but maybe this option would create a better interface for the user and be easier to implement..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Dear Jeff,
    Thank you for the prompt response, somehow I was able to achieve my desired result using the cascading parameter.