BIRT-Integrating an external Chart in a BIRT report

Khaled228
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a Report based on data from a XML-data source using BIRT(version All-in-one). According to my knowledge , the only way to implement a graphical viewing of data is by using Chart-wizard im BIRT (or through chart-scripting for advanced setting). But I thought maybe I can produce some charts(with an external app) based on the data from my xml file, saving the charts into files and eventually, dynamically load those files into my report.. The reason why i want this is because i get always stuck by implementing my desires on my BIRT-chart-wizard. I found the following website www.d3-graph-gallery.com and read something like :** i can create custom designed charts using D3.js or Flash and add page breaks where you need them in the BIRT**

But don't know where to start to understand this and especially how to integrate it with BIRT-report where possible.

So anyone can help me by providing information about Flash or D3.js.?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• This is a post with some examples. It is a few years old, but the examples should run in newer versions.

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/61514/examples-for-ihub-3-1-using-custom-visualizations-d3-js-google-maps-leaflet-and-more

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Hi jeff,
    Thank you for your Answer,
    I've looked in your link. It seems to me that a lot of changes happened regarding this topic during the past years. I have found out that in order to obtain an external visualization of my data and then integrate this to BIRT, i must first install the IHub web application. I downloaded a free version of it called ihub-F-type but when i open it web browser cannot find the web-page i'm opening and displays the following:

This site can’t be reached localhost 8700 iportal.

I've looked into it and found out the following

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/173650/this-site-can-t-be-reached-localhost-8700-iportal

So my question is : where i can find a link for free trail working ihub version ?, i've found many links that shoudl direct me to the official download page of ihub (from Actuate), but it forwards me that automatically to OpenText website instead of the downloading page.

I wish you or anyone who knows about it could help me with this.

Thanks in Advanced

• There are a few options for getting permission to download software. The quickest option assuming it works is to scroll to the top of this page and click the "Home" link. In the upper right corner of the Home page, you should see a link to "Live Chat" (displayed vertically, blue banner with white text). The Live Chat will let you communicate directly with a Customer Service Representative who can either enable the link or direct you to someone who can assist you. The link might not be available to everyone.

A second option is to contact the Sales team. Go to the following page:

https://www.opentext.com/about/contact-us/contact-opentext

If you want to send an email, select "Sales" for the "Inquiry Type" on the email form. Alternatively, if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see phone numbers that can be used to contact Sales in different regions.

If none of those options work, please post here and let me know.

Regarding the product to download, you will be able to build and test visualizations in the commercial Designer. Information Hub (iHub) adds functionality to manage users and schedule reports. I suggest installing the Designer and playing around with the Custom Visualization examples before doing anything with iHub. One thing to note is that the Designer has been renamed a few times. When talking to Sales, it might help to know the different names:

BIRT
    Analytics Designer
    Magellan BI & Reporting Analytics Designer

The latest version is 16.6.. I hope this helps.

• Hi jeff,
    Thanks for your Help. Unfortunately, I don not seem to have access to the live-Chat, since i found it it on the bottom of the page where you directed me rather than on the top right corner
    and when i click on it it displays the follwing :

I've confirmed my E-mail but still getting the same page.
    I've contacted the sales through the contact-form and now waiting there answer. But do you know why i don't have access to Live-chat or at least why i don't see it as a blue vertical banner on the top right side of the page?

Thanks in Advanced

Khaled

• The link at the bottom of the page goes to the same Live Chat as the link I mentioned. I believe the reason you don't see the link in the upper right corner and the reason you can't access the chat is that you don't have an OpenText support login. I'm sorry I led you astray. I thought that if you were able to post in the forums that you would have access to the chat. I think this is one of a few forums that can be accessed without a standard support login. If Sales does not contact you soon, I will get someone to contact you. You can also use the phone numbers on the contact page. Make sure your email isn't filtering out any messages from OpenText. Sometimes emails from outside companies are automatically routed to the spam folder.

• Hi jeff,
    Tnak you for your collaboration. The marketing department of OpenText has made contact with me on telephone regarding my needs. After discussion they sent me an E-mail including some detailed question about what i'm looking for and now I'm waiting there reply.

I just have one question about the communication with the members of this forums:

Is it possible to make contact with someone in this forum ? and if yes, how can i contact him/her.

Thank you in Advanced

Khaled jbaili

• Hi Khaled,

You could click their name at the top of a post and see if they have provided an email address in their profile or ask them for their contact information.