STAT Gamma Code in JobDeliveryStatus

I'm using the JobDeliveryStatus to retrieve information for errored outbound faxes and trying to find the Gamma Code inside the response. I was given a list of Gamma Codes and in the list I see that for a cancellation the code is 5000, yet in the JobDeliveryStatus response for the cancelled job I don't see 5000 anywhere. I do see a 5 for the jobDeliveryStatusResult.JobDeliveryStatus[0].JobData[0].DeliveryGroup[0].DeliveryDetail[0].State.code and see there is an argument of jobDeliveryStatusResult.JobDeliveryStatus[0].JobData[0].DeliveryGroup[0].DeliveryDetail[0].State.gammacode but it gives back a 0. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get the Gamma Code?

Comments

• A job cancelled by you will not show a gamma code. The gamma code represents some type of failure, such as busy, too many dial digits, address block, etc. There was no failure. The cancel will show as one of the JobStates as seen below:

<JobState>Complete</JobState>
      <JobState>Cancelled</JobState>
      <JobState>Posted</JobState>

This is from a job that I cancelled myself. I cancelled as it was being delivered, which is why it shows the Posted also.

A job that is cancelled by use because it had some type of failure will show the gamma code for that failure.

Tom

• OK, I'm wanting to test the gamma code for failures to verify that it is working properly. How can I force a failure? I've tried sending it to my cell phone #, problem is that that causes me to simply get repeated phone calls. Is there another way to cause a failure that you have used? Thanks.

• First, let me revise my earlier comment. The

<JobState>Cancelled</JobState>

indicates that a cancellation request was submitted for the job (via MyPotal, an API JobCancelRequest, or by a Customer Care representative).  However, deliveries may still have taken place before the cancellation took effect, so you will need to use the DeliveryDetail to determine what happened for each item in your job.

An item that is cancelled before a delivery is attempted will result in a DeliveryDetail state as follows:

<State code="5" gammacode="5000">Cancelled</State>

You can test this scenario by injecting a job with a start time (JobOptions/Delivery/StartTime) in the future, and then cancelling the job before the start time is reached.

If an item was being delivered when the cancellation was received (or if it was not cancelled at all), then the DeliveryDetail will reflect the results of an actual attempt.  For instance, I cancelled a Voice job that was in the process of Delivering to my cell phone voice mail. The JobState shows Cancelled but the DeliveryDetail.State shows the following, because the item was actually delivered:

<State code="7">Sent</State>

Now, to your question. What kind of jobs are you doing, fax or voice? Creating errors to see gamma codes can be very difficult. Depending on the error the job will go into retries, as demonstrated by the multiple calls to your cell. The easiest way to force an error is to provide a destination with too few or too many dial digits, which will demonstrate a State of Cancelled with an appropriate Gamma Status.

Another option would be to leave your phone off the hook so that the number is busy when the call is attempted (you would need to ensure that it remains busy through all of the retries).  In that scenario, you would see a state of Error, rather than Cancelled, as follows:

<State code="4" gammacode="3931">Error</State>

Tom