Soft bounces in JobDeliveryStatusResult

I am using the messaging API and processing the result received from JobDeliveryStatus. for most for the contacts I receive DeliveryDetail with state code 7, with no gammacode. The few gammacode I received are of type hard bounce (6500). I never receive soft bounce which doesn't make sense.
how could it be? how should I find soft bounces in the response?

Answers

• In a JobDeliveryStatusResult, the status of the delivery of a message from our switch is in the DeliveryDetail/State element, which contains a text value along with numeric code and gammacode attributes. The “code” attribute reflects the processing state of the delivery. For instance, from your thread, State 7 (SENT) has a status code of 0 which means the message was successfully sent to the recipient's ISP. It does not mean the message was received by the recipient. Only non-zero gammacodes are returned. Any delivery with a State 7 will not be retried. Please see the following link for the complete list of State codes: https://apiforums.easylink.com/emapidocs/26/JobDeliveryStatus/JobDeliveryStatusResult.html.

Again, the gammacode value is only returned if we have a non-zero code from processing, and is only the numeric value. We don’t return the text descriptions for the gammacodes reported in the API results. Gammacode 6500 is a cancelled job with the mnemonic BLOC indicating a blocked address.  Please see the following thread and attachments for detailed error information:
    https://apiforums.easylink.com/content/gamma-codes.

You can gather further information about a delivery by checking Delivery Status Notification (DSN) information, which is available in the JobDeliveryStatusResult as ArrivalEvents, https://apiforums.easylink.com/emapidocs/26/JobDeliveryStatus/JobDeliveryStatusResult.html. See RFCs 2822 and 1893 for details about the DSN components. DSNs may (or may not) be returned by the recipient’s mail system - but if they are returned, they would be the only way to detect a “soft bounce."

Tammy Gargiulo
    Software Engineer - Associate | EasyLink Development

• Thanks Tammy for your detailed answer!
    Yet there is something that doesn't make sense - we have a few customers who are using our platform to send campaigns through Opentext API and we never got soft bounce!!!
    if we get arrival events, there are only a few and not of type soft bounce.
    How could it be that we are not getting any soft bounces? the customers are using Opentext for many months already.
    I can send an example of api response but I would like to do it in email so customer details won't be exposed.

• Our system passes back what is returned to us by the downstream ISP of the recipient. It has no knowledge of the state of the recipient's mailbox.

If you provide a job number and the domain in which you are testing, we can look up the details without exposing your customer details.

Tammy Gargiulo

• Hi Tammy
    thanks
    the job details are

usme

what do you mean "he domain in which you are testing"?

• The job number provided had already been purged from the system. However, the information you provided allowed me to look up your user ID in the usme (messagereach) domain, which I could have also determined from the Receiver_Key you are using in your requests.

I need to reach out to another colleague to confirm some additional information regarding ArrivalEvents.

Tammy Gargiulo

• it will be helpful if you will find one campaign of this customer that has soft bounces so I will check how we are getting it in the API response

• Thank you for your patience. I have activated ArrivalEvents for customer number 864302. Please let me know if you start seeing the soft bounce DSN codes you are expecting in certain cases.

Tammy Gargiulo

• Hi Tammy
    thanks. I still can't see soft bounces. I will wait for a day and check again. will update you.
    regards

• Hello. There was one more "switch" I toggled around 10:35 EST this morning. I checked job numbers 75108871 and 76961556 and I do see several DSNs for recipients where the status would otherwise indicate the delivery succeeded.

Please let me know what you find tomorrow.

Thank you.

Tammy Gargiulo

• so now I can see 1-3 soft bounces in our side but those are still very low numbers of soft bounces. can you check please job 76866682. could it be that there are no soft bounces for it?

• I queried the job, number 76866682, and found 10 bounce backs for DSNs 4.2.2 and 4.2.1.

Tammy Gargiulo

• I looked further into the job you provided in your July 19th post, 76866682, and my response. The reason I saw bounce backs and you didn't is because the job was started after I had activated events for your customer number, but before I turned on a "switch" in the profile the following morning.

Please check subsequent jobs to confirm you are seeing the bounces.

Thank you.

Tammy Gargiulo

• Hi Tammy
    please look at job 79150853. again - 10000 contacts and no soft bounces. sent on 2018-07-22 13:21:23 GMT. can you please check?
    thanks,
    Yael

• Hi Yael.

I am seeing a half dozen bounce backs I believe to be soft bounces. All with "DSN 4.2.2 - The email account that you tried to reach is over quota." However, I don't see any corresponding Arrival Events. I have confirmed Arrival Events are created for hard bounces as found in jobno 75108871. I am going to reach out to a few colleagues for clarification on the handling of soft bounces.

Tammy Gargiulo

• thanks.
    waiting for your answers

• Hi Yael.

Certain errors that can be retried are logged internally by our Mail Transfer Agent and retried over a period of time. Once the retries are exhausted, an ArrivalEvent may be generated which is then recorded in the transaction log. This ArrivalEvent indicates the final status,
    generally a delivery failure.

Tammy Gargiulo

• so after how many days I suppose to get the event?

• Yes. That is correct.

Tammy Gargiulo

• Hi Tammy,
    I asked how many days I should wait for the events? how many days do you retry?
    regards,
    Yael

• Three days from the time the job enters the system.

Tammy Gargiulo

• Hi Tammy
    I feel we are in a loop here.... we are pulling stats for a week. for none of our opentext connection we received soft bounces.
    can you please give a campaign for example of this customer that after 3 days received soft bounces?
    please, we are on this issue almost a month. give me specific examples of soft bounces.
    regards,
    Yael