What is the planned future of EasyLink FTP Upload service for mail/fax jobs?

Options

Hi,

we support and maintain an application which utilizes the antique FTP service developped by Xpedite/MessageReach (then Premiere Global Services, then EasyLink, now OpenText).

What is the planned future of this service offer?

AFAIK the EasyLink XOA 2.2 SOAP API also offers all required functionality to send and manage fax/mail jobs and to do that even better, but up to now we did not receive budget to migrate the FTP-based job transfer to XOA. Since SOAP is "out of style" and everyone including you prefers REST/JSON for APIs like this, the next question is:

Should we pass XOA and migrate straight forward to REST/JSON?

And (very important): When should we do this?

Comments

• I'm not sure I would call FTP "antique" - I might call it "experienced" :-).

We have no plans to discontinue support for FTP, so you don't have to make any changes to your application if you don't want to.

As for which API to choose, should you decide to migrate:

The current REST/JSON API for EasyLink is limited to a straightforward subset of job submission functionality. In the future, the REST API's will be expanded, but they will not support all of the features provided by the system (or by the current SOAP API's). Both API's will continue to be supported.

So if the REST API gives you the functionality you need, then you are welcome and encouraged to use it. However, if you need features that are not supported in REST/JSON, then the SOAP API should be used.

• I'm not sure I would call FTP “antique” - I might call it
    “experienced” :-).

Nice to hear this -- lets call it "seasoned" ;-)

I will take that for official so far :-)