Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Content Management (Extended ECM)
API, SDK, REST and Web Services
Livelink debugging frustrations!
Robert_Davies_(unlondonadmin_-_(deleted))
Hi.I hope someone (maybe someone from Open Text?) can help me. These problems are driving me nuts.I have problems that appear on my production Livelink 8.0.2 server and not on my Builder server. That's not what I am posting about. I am posting because I cannot debug these problems effectively.For example I don't seem to get any Echo()'d statements in my log file. Hence all my carefully crafted debugging information is disappearing into the ether.My next approach was to try and create my own log file but now I'm hitting other problems (I get the 'server didn't respond' error to most of the requests) which I guess may be thread related.Since there is no documenation about how the threading works, or how one is supposed to write thread-safe code I am at a loss to know how to proceed along this line other than trial and error.Has anyone ever debugged a Livelink application on a non-builder server?Does anyone have any useful clues about writing thread-safe code in OScript?Does anyone know how to get a unique ID for the currently running thread?Best regards/matt.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Bickers
Matt,With regard the unique thread ID, use System.ThreadID().I can't think why your echo() statements aren't ending up in the thread files (I'm assuming that 'debug' is set to 2 in your opentext.ini). One possible idea, is... are you using the builtin echo function, or a .Echo() call to an OScript function. There are instances in the code which use the latter, and only actually write out their statements if a debug flag is set.
Robert_Davies_(unlondonadmin_-_(deleted))
Hi Phil.Thanks for the System.ThreadID() call, that is helpful. Now I know about it I also find it was documented. I should have looked a little harder.On the subject of debugging logs I dont think I was using .Echo(). I actually have debug=11 for the purpose of resolving some of our current support issues. Large log files ahoy!I think Open Text need to take a look at the issue of debugging on a live application from the point of view of a developer (rather than a support engineer.) I find that the logs really don't work very well from this perspective.Thanks again for the advice.Best regards/matt.
Simone_Oettinger_(SOettinger_(Delete)_177592)
>I think Open Text need to take a look at the issue of >debugging on a live application from the point of view of a>developer (rather than a support engineer.) I find that the >logs really don't work very well from this perspective.Well, we have some ideas, but if I tell, I'll have to shoot you later :-)We are looking into remote debugging tools. This is still in R&D. There are no schedules or dates when this would become available as a product. I know that this didn't help you much right now, but I wanted you to know that we are aware of this issue and are doing something about it.Simone