Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Content Management (Extended ECM)
API, SDK, REST and Web Services
Suggestion Assoc Clarification...
unknown
Message from Sean M Alderman via eLinkGreetings, Last fall I attended the Builder Fundamentals class and have beenwriting various custom modules as necessary for NASA Glenn's Livelinksystem since then. I have recently run across something which I foundto be very confusing about the Assoc built-in. I'd like to suggest thatthis be better documented and discussed in the Builder class. Thisissue is that Assoc's are actually pointers/references. I have foundseveral instances in Stock modules where code like this exists -/////function xyz(Object prgCtx, Record request, Assoc response)Assoc data...data = response.data.../////At first glance, I envisioned the Assoc data being a local variablewhich stored a copy of what resides in response.data. This is not thecase as far as I can tell, instead data is really a reference toresponse.data, and thus modifying data modifies response.data.This is not the first time I have noticed this, but I guess it's thefirst time that I've worked on a module where response.data wasimportant for my needs...needless to say I spent quite a bit of timethis weekend mulling over code print outs trying to figure out how datawas being passed back and forth between two functions.Thanks...and I hope at least a note about it can be put into theBuilt-Ins/Assoc section of the Builder documentation for future Oscriptnewbies.-- Sean M. AldermanITRACK Systems AnalystPACE/NCI - NASA Glenn Research Center(216) 433-2795
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
There are no comments yet