I heard there was an article on here somewhere about implementing custom columns in OTCS browse that's new in CS10. Can't seem to find it. If you know what I'm talking about, can you point me to it?
OTDN on the KC
Regards
David
From: eLink Entry: Content Server Builder Forum [mailto:componentbuilder@elinkkc.opentext.com]Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:25 PMTo: eLink RecipientSubject: Help me find something
Help me find something
Posted bybrettc@infograph.com (Conley, Brett) On 08-23-2012 13:20
[To post a comment, use the normal reply function]
Forum:
Content Server Builder Forum
Content Server:
Knowledge Center
Hi Brett,
I think this is what you’re looking for:
https://knowledge.opentext.com/go/18858498
Cheers,
Dave
Yep, thanks, Dave and Dave. I have a follow-up question for Templeton or anyone else that knows and cares to answer. Based on the documentation, it appears that a custom column's data is stored separately in the database and gets updated at some arbitrary point in time determined by the programmer. So suppose, for example, that I want my custom column to be the name of the document's parent folder. Ignore, for the time being, that it's pointless to show that in a browse view. So I set up a column that queries the range of DataIDs for the name of their parents' folders. Simple enough. But now I have to execute that query whenever that information changes? In this case, override the Move operation and refresh that column there?
What if I wanted to just grab the extendeddata for a node? Perhaps I don't know all the circumstances that might cause data in that to change? I'm sure it's not recommended to run the repopulate on every single browse view.
Am I understanding this right? I hope I'm wrong. Seems like a very handy feature when all of your node types and actions are custom to your module. But when you're trying to add all kinds of features to the basic OT types, maybe not quite what I need.
Thanks,
Brett
Okay, I get that I have to plan for every single type of event that might change the value of the column. Maybe I can live with that. I'm still trying to get my test working, though. I've got a column and its factory defined, and I can choose it when I go to create a Column node. If I go to Specific Properties for the column node, I can watch it "Building..." and I see that it's "Ready" now. But how do I get it to actually do something? I use Builder for a lot of my development and I'd like to watch a browse operation in the debugger with this custom column value. But I don't see it anywhere. Where is it?
Also, how do you go about displaying the column value in a browse view? This isn't what I'm after, but it would be nice to toggle that on and off so that I have a quick view of what I'm working on.
Okay, I did get my test column to work and am able to see the data in a browse view in code.
But I don't see the data in a search. One of things I do is override the LibraryResultNode IMG function so that I can display thumbnails of the search result items. That IMG function has access to a noderec that gets passed in, but that noderec does not have any of the WND_* items that appear in noderecs in browse view code.
Is there a way to access Column data from search code?
Brett,
I'm afraid that data was only intended for use in the browse view and is not made available in the search results. We really tried to make the interface to custom columns as simple as possible. As an implementer, all you need to know is how to populate the column data initially, and then update the values as necessary. It was intended as a write-only interface for implementers. If you want to read the custom column data back out, you will need to query it yourself.
Tim
From: eLink Entry: Content Server Builder Forum [mailto:componentbuilder@elinkkc.opentext.com]Sent: 30 August 2012 16:51To: eLink RecipientSubject: Re RE RE Help me find something
Re RE RE Help me find something
Posted bybrettc@infograph.com (Conley, Brett) On 08-30-2012 16:50
Topic: