Hello guys!
I was wondering if it's possible to add an attribute to an item based on one attribute choosen in another category automatically.
Does anyone know?
Best Regards,
Diogo Portela
Could you explain the use case is it actually CategoryA(DEFID 12345) ATTRIB_ID=2 when 'USA' is selected then another field of the same say ATTRIB_ID=3 starts showing all states of 'USA'.If that is the case Attributeextensions module and Automatic Document Numbering(ADN) allows for that as the logic can be made into the underlying sql layer.
If they are indeed different category objects as in different defid's,different attribids you might consider coding it in.
If oscript was not involved and your interface was in something else I can see you putting different category rows when the obejct is created again I could not understand that from your query.
Contracts management has a different implementation called the 'PartnerSet' that is used when you have one thing you can tie and several fields are automatically filled.Hans Stoop is probably the best person to talk about it:)
I was wondering how much work it would be to include a check of an attribute value in another category on the same item in the CardFile attribute. It should be straight forward, because all the plumbing is there. I just never let the water run, because nobody asked for water.
The CardFile module that comes with the CardFile attribute has the following advantages over TBL attribute:
<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>It allows the user to enter search terms to search in a big set of data.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>The search result list can contain multiple columns to allow for better selection of the correct value.
<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>Assign multiple attributes based on the selected row from the result.
<![if !supportLists]>4. <![endif]>Display values from a table as a selection list.
Hans
From: eLink Entry: Content Server Development Forum [mailto:development@elinkkc.opentext.com]Sent: Montag, 18. Februar 2013 21:39To: eLink RecipientSubject: Categories Based on Attribute
Categories Based on Attribute
Posted byappu.n.nair@conocophillips.com (Nair, Appu) On 02-18-2013 15:33
[To post a comment, use the normal reply function]
Topic:
Forum:
Content Server Development Forum
Content Server:
Knowledge Center
What I'm trying to do is, for example, I have a category named "Process" with a set of attributes, let's imagine that a Process contains several documents and the attributes from that category apply to all the items in that Process, But those items, each have a different set of attributes (and consequently a new category), if I have an attribute in the "Process" category to specify which kind of item I'm adding, is it possible to assign the new category to an Item based on what I chose in the "Process" category attribute?
So let's imagine the case,
I have the Process "Example".
I want to add a person's ID to "Example", so I would add the document and say that it was of the type "ID"
And now, I want to be able to, automatically, add the category ID to that ID document I'm adding.
Is this possible?
Regards,
I'm having trouble with that too. Really good question. Kind regards.
If you are doing this in oscript would you let the forum know where you are stuck.API level calls and events are available for this to happen in your design.I don't think this functionality exists nor do I think OT would make a core feature for you in the short term.You can always submit a feature request and ask for its update.
A short term option would be to mimic the categories that your project in a livelink webform.Then using Ajax/JSON hide elements in your design as appropriate.The real goal is on submit of the form you have all the info of what category and what attribute you need to put on the object.then depending on your programming prefernce you could use that craete info to add the object(I would use oscript) but once the create info is available you could tailor the node creation using OI XML,Webservices,LAPI.Incidentally this is how I participated in a PO migration project that OT did for us in another job ,they called it the REP or Record Entry Page.The user would be shown form a possible five categories and in the end the results would be written to a table,then a perl routine read the tables and made it into node control files which created the node.Not very suynchronous but worked well for us.
I've done a similar customisation for a recent client, we just detect the value on the save event and then add the appropriate additional categories to the Object. It did require a little OScript to achieve this, let me know if you need more information.
Thanks Greg,
That was the kind of solution I hoped it would take to take care of this problem. To achieve that do I need to create a costum module for that or is there no need?
Thank you very much for your answer
Best regards,
You will certainly need a Custom OScript module, or a patch file to do this, you will need to do the following :
1. Update the Save code for a Category and detect if your situation happens.
2. If it does, add the new Category to the Document
The code is not overly complex, but may be a little hard if you have only just done the Module Development Guide. I suggest you trace the code in Builder for a Category update event and you should see the Category data structure there. You will then be able to check if your condition is true and if so add the additional Category (the Category Frame object has a method called AttrGroupAdd that will add the new Category).
There is some simple samples of working with Cats and Atts at https://knowledge.opentext.com/knowledge/cs.dll?func=ll&objId=3499041&objAction=ArticleView&viewType=1 which shows you how to interact with Cats and Atts.
You can have a go at it yourself, and post follow up questions here etc and we will assist you in debugging the solution, or you can engage a developer / firm to do the work for you, should not be more than a few days including Testing and Documentation etc.
let me know if you need more.
Thank you Greg,
I'll try to follow your advice and try to understand the code for the category update event in the builder. I don't think I'm seeing the wrong Ospace but it's in LLIAPI:LLIAPI root:CatPkg right?
Sorry for the trouble.
Once again thanks a lot for your answers
Diogo,
Post the code you have at present.