Regenerating module from src

Options

Hi, 

I have a situation where my VM crashed and in the process, all .ini files added since the last restore point went missing (Windows Restore does this for some strange reason, even if the .ini file isn't theres).   Long story short, my Eclipse source project is still safe, but my module is now effectively missing (the opentext.ini file was also replaced with an earlier version so the module is effectively uninstalled).  I can't reinstall it because there is no more module.ini file.  What I want to know is if there is any way to regenerate the compiled ospace and module with .ini file?  Obviously I can recreate the project from scratch and copy & paste my changes over but for a large module, this will be devastatingly slow.  I recall being told that at module inception is about the only time you can generate a module and get it installed so that the src automatically updates the .oll file of your module. If so, having alternatives to when/how to regenerate a module from source would be at the top of my wishlist.

-Hugh Ferguson

Comments

• Hi Hugh,

I tried doing this on as simple enough module and I would like to say it worked. It has hardcodes and assumptions as I did not spend a

Long time with it ,but I am pretty sure OT is going to tell you that this is do able. I did it like this document

I based my thoughts  on the “DumpModuleIni” from yester years…

https://knowledge.opentext.com/knowledge/cs.dll?func=ll&objId=50222885&objAction=download

Best

Appu

From: eLink Entry: Content Server IDE Development Forum [mailto:contentserver-ide@elinkkc.opentext.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:21 PM
    To: eLink Recipient
    Subject: [EXTERNAL]Regenerating module from src

Regenerating module from src

Posted byhugh@hferguson.ca (Ferguson, Hugh) On 06/12/2014 01:15 PM

Hi, 

I have a situation where my VM crashed and in the process, all .ini files added since the last restore point went missing (Windows Restore does this for some strange reason, even if the .ini file isn't theres).   Long story short, my Eclipse source project is still safe, but my module is now effectively missing (the opentext.ini file was also replaced with an earlier version so the module is effectively uninstalled).  I can't reinstall it because there is no more module.ini file.  What I want to know is if there is any way to regenerate the compiled ospace and module with .ini file?  Obviously I can recreate the project from scratch and copy & paste my changes over but for a large module, this will be devastatingly slow.  I recall being told that at module inception is about the only time you can generate a module and get it installed so that the src automatically updates the .oll file of your module. If so, having alternatives to when/how to regenerate a module from source would be at the top of my wishlist.

-Hugh Ferguson

[To post a comment, use the normal reply function]

Forum:

Content Server IDE Development Forum

Content Server:

Knowledge Center

• It didn't work quite as well for me.  Mind you I didn't bother trying to use Builder 10.0 as in my view, if we have to do that, we might as well start all our development in Builder and forget CSIDE until we're ready to publish.  The process of creating a parallel project does work for at least getting the module in the original project to sort of reconnect with the ospace on the server.  However, only some of the objects are synced. As an example, an update to the $Module Root.Documentation propagates over but the Utils package under it doesn't nor do changes to the WebModule orphan.

Perhaps the loss of the .ini file is considered a black swan event, but I've had it happen too frequently (due to VM crashes) to ignore. It would be nice if an ospace and its module could be completely regenerated from the source project. That would be on my wish list to Open Text.

-Hugh

• Hi Hugh,

Being able to build a module from source and open the ospace is definitely on the list, and it's something that's keenly felt when ospaces get corrupted or, as in your case, the ini file goes away.  Here at Open Text, the problem is alleviated somewhat because we have build tools that can reconstruct a module outside the context of a Content Server.  We do want to ship similar tools to partners, but the ones we have right now are rather tightly woven into our build system and so wouldn't be much use.

I also want to have the IDE manage the ini file in the source tree and copy it from the source tree on compile.  I'm not sure what that looks like right now, but I do know relying on things like the '0 DumpModuleConfigToFile' is a problem in the source-based paradigm.

So yes, we're working on it.  I can't promise a timeline, but I will see about bumping it up the list.

Darcy.

From: eLink Entry: Content Server IDE Development Forum [contentserver-ide@elinkkc.opentext.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 11:55 AM
    To: eLink Recipient
    Subject: RE Regenerating module from src

RE Regenerating module from src  Posted by hugh@hferguson.ca (Ferguson, Hugh) On 06/13/2014 11:55 AM

It didn't work quite as well for me.  Mind you I didn't bother trying to use Builder 10.0 as in my view, if we have to do that, we might as well start all our development in Builder and forget CSIDE until we're ready to publish.  The process of creating a parallel project does work for at least getting the module in the original project to sort of reconnect with the ospace on the server.  However, only some of the objects are synced. As an example, an update to the $Module Root.Documentation propagates over but the Utils package under it doesn't nor do changes to the WebModule orphan.Perhaps the loss of the .ini file is considered a black swan event, but I've had it happen too frequently (due to VM crashes) to ignore. It would be nice if an ospace and its module could be completely regenerated from the source project. That would be on my wish list to Open Text.-Hugh

[To post a comment, use the normal reply function]
    Topic: Regenerating module from src
    Forum: Content Server IDE Development Forum
    Content Server: Knowledge Center
  • Hi Darcy, 

Glad to know it's on the list!!! It would be a fantastic feature in this brave new world of Oscript source :)

-Hugh