We have a customer who wants to make bulk changes to remove locator type on physical objects. There isn’t any way to do this via the user interface (at least not until CS16) and there are no web service methods either. I’ve had a look at the oscript code around this in the Physical Objects module and I don’t see anything specifically for Locator Type that is easy to hook into either. When I look at any oscript code that does update Locator Type it only does three things, updates the PhysItemData table, writes Audit entries and sets Notifications. This is confirmed from a SQL trace. For this scenario we don’t need audit entries and we don’t want notifications so that leaves just a bit of code to update the table.
So I could just write a bit of oscript to update the PhysItemData, but that raises the question, why not just use SQL directly? Of course, I know that this is not supported by OpenText, but cloning the required oscript out of the PO module is essentially doing the same thing, isn’t it?
If anybody has any better ideas or comments I’d appreciate hearing from you.
Cheers
Rob