Unable to create new application in Enterprise Library

Hi Experts,

While trying to add new application in Enterprise Library I am getting the below error. EL is hosted on Archive Server 16.2.0 which is in Linux.
Any inputs what can cause this error.

Thanks

Comments

• The EL Application when you access thru the MMC console has ways to increase Livelink a.k.a Content Server Soap logging . The application will create a new DataSource like what comes OOB for livelink so really you need to trouble shoot that . Alternatively in old Elib deployments there used to be a simple web app that used java to do what elib used so one could ask OT support if they can discern the message

From a livelink perspective your elib is pointing to at least a livelink soap install listening on a default port and that is channeled to a real livelink server set in your tomcat configuration

So there’s a bit of debugging ahead

My blog livelink.in has an old document much water has flown under the bridge but the communication protocol and others should be ok

Ignore any LAPI information as that API was deprecated by OT for SOAP

Look also for @AdrianBackler posts as he is very knowledgeable in these
  • Thanks @Appu Nair … got my attention :)
    Amrita, let's make a quick sanity check of ot-elib.log as a first step

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• @AdrianBackler said:
    Thanks @Appu Nair … got my attention :)
    Amrita, let's make a quick sanity check of ot-elib.log as a first step

Hi Adrian,

I thought I had already uploaded the logs. Guess I missed that.Please find the attached log.

Thanks,
    Amrita

• Hi Amrita
    I see:
    Caused by: com.opentext.livelink.service.core.ServiceException: RCS-TTL expired
    in the log. Perhaps @Appu Nair can say immediately what this response from Content Server is down to but I would suggest it is worth checking that the time is properly aligned between ELIB, OTDS and CS as a first thought.

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• Check if your SAP system and Content Server system are set in synchronization so if SAP application database is reporting in UTC TS that should be the same thing the LL DB also should report

You can also for trial purposes not have SecKey support which is a mechanism by which SAP URL’s are protected to hit AS

Runtime & CoreServices Time to Live expired
    I would have created a simple C# or java app and see if I can hit your CS or SoapUi to see if you can make that part work

That is my hunch although I have no real idea
  • @Appu_Nair @AdrianBackler

Apologies as I am not able to understand what needs to be done. The fun part is I created one application and did follwoing changes after that when I tried creating another one for testing it started giving me error.

1) We had 3 Extended ECM Connections for testing so I deleted all and kept one.
    2) Ran diagnostic reports and it was green.

I followed below guide.
    https://knowledge.opentext.com/knowledge/piroot/erlk/v160200-00/erlk-iws/en/html/jsframe.htm?createapplication

• You might involve OT Support for further debugging out of the pictures in the MMC client picture you linked
    1. AS is the Data Tier such that documents emails etc can be stored using DSH one can test that although I doubt if it needs to be done.
    2. Content Server is the application layer which is what you are seeing there the permissions GIF that they show is part of every Content Server object. When the **QM8 **Application is created it issues a SOAP query to CS and a new Enterprise Library Data Source is created. I think you got an error in that part so its debugging is important. One can simply use SOAPUI to see if other SOAP clients like RCS can hit it and rule that out
    3. OTDS is an Auth Interceptor a "man in the middle".It can use SAPSSO2 to crack the user and pass the user seamlessly.

Since everything is green no harm in re-starting the CS part , Tomcat part to see if all works. But RCS-TTL appears in logs it is for support to set it right.
    I am not entirely too sure as recently when I did this I saw errors similar to this that comes in your log it can be a red herring but I suggest you check through System Center if you have all the correct patches applied.

Can't do the version check because it was not possible to get the version information from CS.

Please check the Content Server module "Extensions for Enterprise Library" installation.

• As I said, I would first check that the application servers are properly time synched. And, I agree with Appu - make sure you have all patched up to date - and the versions aligned.

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• @AdrianBackler said:
    As I said, I would first check that the application servers are properly time synched. And, I agree with Appu - make sure you have all patched up to date - and the versions aligned.

Hi Adrian/Appu,

The application servers are hosted on Linux and are time synched. NTP is also enabled on the system.We applied the patch pat162000373 on content server (restarted all apps) and the error "com.opentext.livelink.service.core.ServiceException: RCS-TTL expired" disappeared.

It has the new error now.Attaching the latest ot.elib.log. Is there any other logs that I should share?

I also followed below KBs' but no luck.Could this the issue from CS or SAP side?

https://knowledge.opentext.com/knowledge/cs.dll/kcs/kbarticle/view/KB520496
    https://knowledge.opentext.com/knowledge/cs.dll/kcs/kbarticle/view/KB468731

• Hi Amrita
    Now we need to look at the Content Server logs. Please set Thread and SQL Connect logging both to INFO. Reproduce the issue and then collect the thread_logs and connect_logs.
    Thanks

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• @AdrianBackler said:
    Hi Amrita
    Now we need to look at the Content Server logs. Please set Thread and SQL Connect logging both to INFO. Reproduce the issue and then collect the thread_logs and connect_logs.
    Thanks

This is newly build environment where we have just started doing all the configurations. I am attaching the thread and connect logs.

• @Appu_Nair

OTDS is an Auth Interceptor a "man in the middle".It can use SAPSSO2 to crack the user and pass the user seamlessly- We have created a smiliar user called "xecmuser" having same permission as of otadmin@otds.admin. We are using new user to create application. This new user is regiested in OTDS under Authentication handler.

• Hi Amrita
    I see the following in the thread logs when running EnterpriseLibrary.CreateApplication():
    ELVolumeCallbacks.CBCreate: Error retrieving EL Extractor data from LLSystemData.. skipping slice creation
    This would suggest that you haven't created the Enterprise Library Search Partition. Or, that it is not running properly.
    In Content Server Admin, under Search Administration, choose Open the System Object Volume. What do you see here?

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• @AdrianBackler

Yes Enterprise Library Search Partition has not been created. Is that necessary to be created? We have not create the EL Search partition in any other environment and it works well.

DF.PNG 21.5K
  • @""Amrita keshari"
    According to one of our key developers:

Not having an extractor is bad, as it'll cause extraction notifications to pile up in DTreeNotify.
    When EL is installed, there must be a primary EL datasource for the system to function properly.

The comments were made in the context of exactly the error you encounter.
    I an surprised that you have other environments where you do not encounter the error. Which versions are these? Can you really create an ELIB application with no Enterprise Library Search Partition?

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• If the customer truly is an Enterprise Type customer the 'Application QM8 or DE1 as in an SAP Instance is created it should have created an Enterprise Library Data Source. The importance of that is just not in indexing but in the SOAP code by OT for ELIB @AdrianBackler you will recall that SAP calls are done by calling the Application endpoint.To SAP Programmers Application means the ELIB Data Source. If you look elsewhere I asked the Original Poster if they intend to run ELIB or Business Workspaces. In my experience, ELIB is used when SAP wants its data to be managed for RM (RM Link) and not as in the popular xECM scenarios like seeing Objects in Livelink and SAP at the same time and acting on it. :)

So ELIB Dat Source is nonnegotiable in ELIB implementations ...

• Amrita keshari
    edited February 3, 2020 #18

@AdrianBackler
    We are using CS 16.2.4.
    Can you really create an ELIB application with no Enterprise Library Search Partition? Yes, we having working environment in PRD of another release where everything is working well.

• @Appu Nair said:
    If the customer truly is an Enterprise Type customer the 'Application QM8 or DE1 as in an SAP Instance is created it should have created an Enterprise Library Data Source. The importance of that is just not in indexing but in the SOAP code by OT for ELIB @AdrianBackler you will recall that SAP calls are done by calling the Application endpoint.To SAP Programmers Application means the ELIB Data Source. If you look elsewhere I asked the Original Poster if they intend to run ELIB or Business Workspaces. In my experience, ELIB is used when SAP wants its data to be managed for RM (RM Link) and not as in the popular xECM scenarios like seeing Objects in Livelink and SAP at the same time and acting on it. :)

So ELIB Dat Source is nonnegotiable in ELIB implementations ...

Hi Appu,

Yes we require EL so that we can have Business Workspaces from SAP that will be exposed to customers. ELIB Data source folder can be created at a later stage.

• @Amrita keshari said:

Yes, we having working environment in PRD of another release where everything is working well.

Which release is that? I wonder if the enforcement has been introduced since then. However, it remains that with 16.2.4, as evidenced by the error, it is necessary that the ELIB data source is created before you can add ELIB applications.

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• Hi Adrian

Our customer has different release where we are working on different CS enhancement work. In all the release we have 16.2.4 of CS used. I am wondering as how without having ELIB data source we have the ELIB application created on other environemnts.
    But I created ELIB data source folder now in the environment on which I was facing the issue and was able to successfully add ELIB application without giving the same error.

• Hi Amrita
    It does seem strange … but, without logs from the time, it is not really possible to comment. Most certainly, we expect the program logic to behave the same if the versions are the same.

Adrian Backler
    Customer Support

• Hi Adrain,

The environemnt which don't have Enterprise Library Data source folder was build a year ago. So I believe CS or ot.elib logs will not have any pointers.

I would thankyou and @Appu_Nair in providing the solution.

Thanks,
    Amrita