Guides/Samples of OScript

Options

Hi Experts,

I am a beginner in OTCS, I am looking for Guides/Samples for using/developing OScripts. I do have access to SDK but unfortunately, it's not detailed/I am unable to digest in mapping or extending the functionalities of CS.

Not finding enough guides on OSpace, Object, etc. it would be great with sample business scenarios.

appreciate, some step by step guides/examples which can make life easy.

Comments

• Hi - Welcome to OScripting :-)

Given you have the SDK / CSIDE: you've access to every line of code we ship - once the server is running you can see all the objects in memory vis the Module Explorer.

However / having said that: this is a lot to digest if you're not familiar. OScript is a unique language, as is the Content Server framework. I very, very strongly recommend signing up for a course - they're very good at ramping up on this activity.

@siegel: vi is an editor with two modes: one which destroys your input and the other which beeps at you

• Appu Nair
    edited January 13, 2021 #3
    Options

Most of us who do this learned by spending lots of hours, as part of our job, or learned by studying with eminent tutors at OT. It will look fairly similar syntax wise but the old product called the builder and its new avatar CSIDE (it was originally called Oclipse)is essentially the same but you do a certain thing by unlearning the builder techniques and adopting the new technique

Having said that people like @Dave Carpeneto can think of a fairly simple module like the (In)famous addressbook module . When I started in 1999 with that it was very difficult to even get it to work. I toiled hours trying to even get that working.

What I would ask is to rewrite that documentation so that a custom module like contacts is given to the learner. Then teach them to import that to see the code side. Then leave enough documentation or comments saying this RH came from the real object sitting somewhere so they understand Orphaning & overriding. Most people reading cside documentation and the contacts or recipients module that OT makes in that won’t be successful and the frustration mounts especially if there are timelines to meet. I understand training with OT is the best where an eminent tutor will help them create the first module but many people have limitations. Think of structuring the course on a built module, importing and adding frills like RH's, webnodes,webnodecommands & actions, nodes, etc so the new user has the opportunity to understand what one is doing...

@sunilmudambi

Oscript is best understood by tracing livelink and then looking at the request to see how the code is flowing. Please also look at the Gurus OT and otherwise who snippet best practices and such like. In the new documentation, there is if I am not mistaken a section called how do I trace the call from a browser to the livelink cgi. this was originally taught in the advanced Oscript course

Not every organization needs an Oscript developer, many things you can do without it so do undertake it with that. Also, it is not like Java or C# where if you actually find something on the web.

I leave the old builder link so you may be able to get old programmer viewpoints etc...

https://knowledge.opentext.com/knowledge/cs.dll?func=ll&objId=30488927&objAction=viewincontainer&ShowReplyEntry=30490807#forum_topic_30490807

@Greg Griffiths has a link to what we all had when we were learning it had a better flow...

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/developer/discussion/comment/948033#Comment_948033 however the part you will have to learn new is in the old days we were writing and seeing code everything using builder, in the new avatar what you are doing is writing code for objects in .OS files in the Oscript Explorer and then it gets compiled to the CS servers Oscript engine a.k.a module explorer a parallel to this in the old word is we were able to generate ascii look-alikes called a .dmp file

Welcome to the marvelous world?