Initiating a workflow from Document in SmartUI creates a shortcut to the document

Hello Experts,

I have an issue where in initiating a workflow against a document in Smart UI creates a shortcut to the document instead of actual document as against the Classic View.

Can this behavior be configured or customized?

This is on CS 16.2.9

Thanks

Vinod

Comments

• Appu Nair
    edited April 12, 2021 #2

@Vinod_Krishnan a proper answer is probably ask OT to see if these two interfaces(classic and SUI) should be showing the same things in WF.I would think it should :)

It probably is a configuration but AFAI searched in my 16.2.11 I couldn't find it. So assuming it is a miss then I will put my classic reply hat/workaround hat and think like this

Gurus @Hans_Stoop always says Hans Stoop always says to use the Function Menu Icon of a Document Object to start a workflow. Also ESIGN and TW produces the Initiate from item so I do do not know how your WF is generated.

• Every Shortcut in Classic has a section that has a "Show Original" also from time immemorial OT used to bundle a LR in its LR volume that showed how references are done .In fact if you do not know it is called "My Bad ShortCuts" available in Personal->Reports->LiveReports . So as you can see the OriginDataId is the real Object of a shortcut.
    • So in your screencap if you write a standalone WR using above logic and a SQL tool you will be able to find the real Object where that SC is pointing to.
    • With that info all it takes is a simple NODEACTION of a create in WR to put it manually So I would expect you to have another link right where your Screen cap is that you generated based on running a manual WR :).So in addition to the OT link your WR will put another URL Object using Nodeaction Create.
    • So it will look weird like this First one is SC(Alias) Node Provided by OT OOB the second one is a URL Node that you create by running your WR after the fact(It is not automated at this stage )
    • Now if this idea flies then all you have to do is learn if WR Triggers are able to fire on WF Attachments Objects ....If so you have a workaround atleast .I would not try WR triggers unless you are sure this workaround works at least.
    • I accept SWIFT in USD or INR ? although I would settle for agrees or likes if this helped or even if the idea did not fly as we take time from our jobs to see the product get acceptance.

This is a screencap to illustrate the approach(not good at making wireframes et al) @Nizar_Ghazal @Ian_Whitfield

#AOTDEV1D

• Vinod_Krishnan
    edited April 19, 2021 #3

hello Experts,

Is there an easy way to customize the "Start Workflow" function in SmartUI to use the "Initiate Workflow" function link as in Classic UI against the "Initiate Document Workflow" function?

The Initiate Document Workflow function in Classic UI does create the shortcut to document too and the Initiate Workflow function does create a copy of document in the Workflow Attachment.

Long story short in Smart UI its some how using the "Initiate Document Workflow" function rather than the "Initiate Workflow" function. If this can be altered then my job is done.

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Vinod Krishnan.