Content Server Development environment on ARM?

Options

Microsoft added support for x64 emulation on Windows ARM late last year. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried running a Content Server development environment (CS & CSIDE) on Windows ARM64?

Does anyone know if OpenText has intention of supporting Content Server & CSIDE on ARM?

Tagged:

Comments

• Karen Weir
    Options

Hi @Chris Meyer , I don't see this listed on the Roadmap. I'll share this with the team to review.

• The most exotic platform that I run CS on was CS & CSIDE in a Docker container using Docker Desktop for Mac. Mac (with Intel) is not supported either and Docker with Linux is an alternative to a full VirtualBox VM with Windows.

I do not know if there are any plans to port CS to ARM. Considering the huge effort of such undertaking, you would need a sound business case, which would justify the need for Windows on ARM.

Emulating the CPU will probably slow the VM down so brutally, that you will want to sell the ARM and buy an Intel again :-) Even running CS in a Linux Docker container on a non-Linux OS, but on the same CSPU was no hitparade...

• It works. I'm now using Windows 11 ARM on a MacBook Pro (M1) in a Parallels VM. Content Server, CSIDE/Eclipse, and Builder all work fine with good performance. I can recommend the setup if anyone is considering it. The only problem I had was with MSSQL, which forced me to switch to Oracle. Otherwise, no issues.

• Hi @Chris Meyer, Thanks so much for this information. I'm trying to do the same thing (Windows 11 ARM on an M1 MacBook Pro), but I ran into problems connecting Content Server to Oracle. Which Oracle version did you install?

• I'm using an old version of Oracle XE, which suffices for my development. A `SELECT * FROM v$version;` gives me this:

Oracle Database 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

I think this might even be the 32-bit version.

I hope this helps.