Can't create module in CSIDE

Options

I have been trying to set up Oclipse CSIDE as an OScript novice, in order to use it for SmartUI SDK.

However, I have been struggling with creating a module in Oclipse. After entering module name and version in the Wizard and clicking OK, I receive "java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException". Looking further down in the details, I find:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "com.opentext.oclipse.model.oscript.IOScriptServer.getOTHOMEFolder()" because the return value of "com.opentext.oclipse.model.oscript.IOScriptModule.getOScriptServer()" is null

I can't seem to find anything about this problem on the Knowledge Center or other forum posts. What is the OScript server and how can I start it/fix it?

I'm running CS 21.3.

Tagged:

Comments

• Additional comment: Apparently, the problem lies deeper than just that message. There seem to be problems with the whole initialization of the OScriptVM. It can't build the project and the Module Explorer does not show any modules for my "(projectname)_server" project.

• What I do is something like this.

1. Create a CS that I can start/stop to my heart's content before I make a backup of it.
    2. I then install a version of eclipse with java the latest and greatest so I can cough up a "Hello World" with it.
    3. I am also doing this when I have been added to this machine as the windows 'Administrator's' group so I have unlimited privileges.
    4. I then install the plugin using the procedure has laid.
    5. When I point then to create a project and point to my OTHOME which usually is not in the noncontigous program files path I should get success and it should read the registry and say the familiar 'Do you want to stop livelink' now. Most likely at this point the plugin has everything it needs to create Oscript modules
  • Hello Appu Nair,

Thanks for the reply. The message "Service 'OTCS' is running. Do you wish to shutdown the service?" does indeed appear and it seems to correctly shut down if chosen to. The module explorer shows the button for "Stop OScript VM", but Eclipse doesn't read the modules from the Content Server.

The console only outputs the following:

Dez. 23 12:53:38,523 INFO: RemoteOScriptVMProcess(<init>:263) RemoteOscriptVMProcess settings: Listenerscript: listener.lxe startupScript: D:\appl\OpenText\ide_startup.lxe breakAtStartup : false startedByEclipse: true configFile: D:\appl\OpenText\config\opentext.ini eclipseHost:127.0.0.1 rmiRegistryPort:10988 remoteObjectName:DebugProcessListener_43_1640260412603

Dez. 23 12:53:38,564 INFO: RemoteOScriptVMProcess(initialize:278) Remote CS process initialize with readOnly true

Dez. 23 12:53:38,717 INFO: RemoteOScriptVMProcess(initialize:287) using config file D:\appl\OpenText\config\opentext.ini

And then I proceed to repeatedly receive the error "Canceling Build: VM is not available."

• Appu Nair
    edited December 24, 2021 #5
    Options
    Then it is better for you to start a ticket usually they will want a dot file from your install . Do you find a huge mdmp file in the ot home folder . If so I would move it to some other place and ee attempt . The mdmp file is a core dump that IT can analyze sometimes. Please tag Dave Carpeneto so you can grab his attention You are sure your OT Is good as in you can login add files etc any traces on its startup ?
  • Hi @Manuel_Hoffmann - sorry to hear that you're having issue. A few things here:

1. If you're looking to do work in SmartUI SDK you technically don't need CSIDE, unless you're looking to create server-side request handlers (however there's no harm in playing with CSIDE if you'd like to learn and/or debug the server)
    2. That you're getting a NullPointerException & having issues starting the server via CSIDE implies some bugs in CSIDE. Could you provide the logs as outlined @ https://knowledge.opentext.com/go/KB12497600 (either by opening a ticket to support, or by emailing me directly (dcarpene@opentext.com)? Note that logs overwrite themselves after time, so a fresh copy after reproducing is most appreciated. Thanks

Thanks as always @Appu Nair for jumping in 😀

@siegel: vi is an editor with two modes: one which destroys your input and the other which beeps at you

• Note - I just reproduced the stack trace you provided in the initial ticket. Turns out we don't prevent module creation when the server is down (which we should, since the module needs to be up for this to work).

I've opened ticket https://jira.opentext.com/browse/OIDE-2867 internally to fix this. I'll see if we can get this into the 22.2 release. Thanks for flagging this / providing those details 🙂

@siegel: vi is an editor with two modes: one which destroys your input and the other which beeps at you