What do you like/dislike about the community forums?

Options

Don't be shy, feedback of any sort is valuable to help us improve your experience in the Developer Community.

One comment that I found recently in a discussion thread:

"... no comment given on how I find the forums since they changed the system a few years back "

What did you like better about the previous system, what do you find confusing, what stops you from engaging?

Sharing your frustration (or joy) will go directly to the team managing the system.

Answers

• Not frustrations, more annoyances:

• I just don't use the forums enough to really see how they are structured but to be honest I never really am sure where to start. For example: I'm most interested in Content Server myself, which has several subfora. Now the 'product forums list' contains different items for "content server" than the list of content server forums and the search filter 'category' is again different. This last filter is also different than the 'Categories' I see on the right when in a forum which actually are useless for me as the categories are far too broad. So I really don't use all the filters and categories and I search very generally in the different locations, never really sure of getting all the good results.
    • Why are discussion forums no longer included in the 'search all within knowledge center' search? It forces me to look in two locations.
    • I don't know how to see a list of all the different forums I'm following.
    • the Core Share forum cannot be found via the product page: broken link

• Karen Weir
    Karen Weir E admin
    edited January 14, 2022 #3
    Options

Thank you for taking the time @pieter.jan.hermans@sckcen.be !

The Developer Community is meant for customers and partners who are building new customizations or extension apps on top of their OpenText product.

If this describes you, you can search and follow categories here - this will return all developer discussions.

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/developer

However, it sounds like you are searching for support for the products you purchased. The My Support (aka Knowledge Center, "KC") is a separate experience at this time. I will share the following with that team to make the needed updates for you:

• Core Share product page update
    • Clean up product forums list
    • Post search tips in the Support Community
    • Support community and "KC" searches are separate, I will ask for an update

Support community tips:

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/support/

"Follow" the categories you are interest in.

1. Open the category
    2. Click on the 'Bell' icon
    3. Choose if you want email notifications, or simply add it to your 'followed' list in the Support community home page (see next tip)

To see a list of all categories you are following

1. Click on the View button while in the Support community home page
    2. Click on 'Following'

To search in the Support community, narrow the search to include only followed categories

1. In the search box, click the down arrow to expand the search field
    2. Select the radio button called 'search only in followed categories'

I hope this helps a bit!

• Hi Karen

Thanks for going into my remarks!

I’am indeed not a developer, but I do manage our content server implementation from a functional perspective, so it is indeed the support forum I’m using.

The tip on how to see the followed categories and how to search only those are very helpful indeed. It is hard to ‘un-see’ them now…

Pieter Jan

• having proper threading would make it easier to follow the branches in the discussion on a topic.

also some more detail on the Leaderboard, e.g. how people get points, showing history so you can see the "score" or each person over a period etc.

• Karen Weir
    Options

@pieter.jan.hermans@sckcen.be , To see all categories, please click on the 'View' button again and select 'All'

• Karen Weir
    Options

@Greg Griffiths , thank you for taking the time.

Threading is high priority! As with this conversation we're having, it is difficult for viewers to easily read through the topics covered. I will get an update on when threading will be available.

We don't expose or use the Leaderboard in the Developer Community, for the very reason you outline - we need to clearly offer the qualifications and point logic. We will continue to work on this before adding it into your experience here.

Also, I'll ask the Support Community manager to either document how the system works, or hide it until we get the functionality properly sorted.

We have the option to separate the Leaderboards between Support and Developer, as well as offer a combined score for customers engaging in both.

more to come!

• @Karen Weir thanks for the response :)

• Karen Weir
    Options

@Greg Griffiths , I am told that conversation threading is penciled in for October this year. If all goes well, and no other priorities sneak in, we should be able to have proper conversations here before year's end. Maybe we can even host an AMA event :)

For the leaderboard, I am working with the team to identify a phased approach to releasing on Developer. I am told that the data is there, but we need to determine the logic and point values before we add it in.

• @Karen Weir thanks for the update and all you and the team do to help the community :)

• @Karen Weir Hang in there for all of us:)

• i'm a new member just registered to the forum, one thing i don't understand is that i can't create my own signature or is it no longer available? If so, why does it still exist?

• Karen Weir
    Options

@leopoldogreen , we haven't enabled Signatures for members as an effort to avoid negative intent. You are free to add your name or information with each comment or post if you like.