Feature Request - Open Trace file in CS IDE

Options

It would be helpful if we could open a Trace file in the CS IDE and have it appear in the same way as though the code had stopped in normal execution, so that I can interact with the stack and the variables to see what is going on. This would be much easier than trying to compare the functions with the data in the trace file.

Comments

• Hi Greg - something along this line has been flagged internally as an item of interest. Given that this is desired outside of OpenText I'll flag this request to those that prioritize items.

@siegel: vi is an editor with two modes: one which destroys your input and the other which beeps at you

• @Dave Carpeneto any news on this, can you share the FR ? in the meantime, can you share any tricks, scripts or tools that OT use to work with trace files ?

• Hi Greg - FWIW the FR # for this is OIDE-1953. At present it's still in the to-do list. Sorry that there's not more i can provide on this WRT news of progress. I've updated the ticket over here again regarding this thread.

@siegel: vi is an editor with two modes: one which destroys your input and the other which beeps at you

• @Dave Carpeneto thanks for the update, in the meantime, is there anything you can share about how OT process Tracefiles ?

• I obviously cannot speak for everyone in the company, however in cases where tracefiles occur on machines that I do not own / have direct access to: I'd need a copy of their OTHome so that I could walk through things to try to figure out what happened. If OTHome was not available (due to third party / confidentiality issues) then it becomes a lot messier / potentially impossible. I'm guessing that's a fairly similar process for most people tasked with forensic investigation.

Does this answer what you're asking, or were you looking for something else?

• @Dave Carpeneto thats in line with my teams current processes, do you have any tools / scripts you can share ?

• Regarding tools: strong coffee, occasionally prayer 😉

• Hi Dave,

Most of the time I have the required modules available on my own system and in a lot of cases I'm already able to see what is wrong, especially if it is an issue within my own module.

What already would help is a viewer for the trace files. Especially to inspect assocs and recarrays.

The next step would be to jump to the line of code where the calls are made.

Hans

• Greg Griffiths
    edited June 22, 2023 #11
    Options

In the meantime, RavenBlack has added trace file support to their Application Analyzer tool which offers some of the functionality for this topic - thanks @GregPetti et al :)

• Thanks for sharing this Greg. We're pretty excited about this latest feature and we're gradually adding additional "expert" notes diagnostically speaking, based on common issues. It's not chatGPT but (we believe) a great step forward, particularly as you can see the trace logs from a browser. All feedback welcome. gpetti@ravenblackts.com

• That is a very cool thing to have - thanks for flagging - I've passed this utility back to the ticket owner on our end.