Migrate data from CS 16 to CS 22.4

Options

Hi experts

I'm trying to migrate data from CS version 16.0 to a new installation of CS 22.4

I have a folder with over 10,000 Business Workspaces. I tried to migrate this data via Transport Warehouse and also via Object Export, but the Business Workspaces are not included in both Transport Warehouse and Object Export.

Any different ideas or a better way to migrate this data from Content Server version 16 to version 22.4?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Best Answers

• appuq
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

Option1: Upgrade the 16 to a 22

Option2:Use custom code for doing this ad hoc

Option 3:Many custom migrators exist buy it and use it

Option4:OE is very easy to extend if it doesn't support that particular subtype you can hire an oscripter to extend it.

• Pacosta
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

You should try OpenText Business Workspaces 22.4 REST API

https://developer.opentext.com/ce/products/extendedecm/apis/businessworkspaces224restapi

You should prepare documentation with source data (BWS, categories and attributes, folder template, etc.) and check the complexity and specificity of each BWS scenario/case. It may not be possible to migrate all the BWS you have with Rest API, so before migrating, make sure you know your special cases related to BWS and then use REST API.
    This development should be coded by an OTCS expert or similar.

• appuq
    #4 Answer ✓
    Options

You could try as I mentioned SC is just a tool so I wouldn't think that if SC didn't work I could not upgrade a CS system….Please look in KB for the Upgrade documents of yesteryear. You will find Case Study documents on how to do "Parallel Upgrades" What SC typically accomplishes is "In place Upgrades"

Answers

• appuq
    #5 Answer ✓
    Options

Option1: Upgrade the 16 to a 22

Option2:Use custom code for doing this ad hoc

Option 3:Many custom migrators exist buy it and use it

Option4:OE is very easy to extend if it doesn't support that particular subtype you can hire an oscripter to extend it.

• Pacosta
    edited April 1 #6
    Options

Have you tried with Rest API to create BWS? I think you one solution is using Opentext Business Workspaces REST API to create/migrate your BWS. https://developer.opentext.com/ce/products/extendedecm/apis/businessworkspaces224restapi

You should prepare documentation with source metadata (BWS, categories and attributes, folder template, etc) and to check the complexity and specificity of each BWS scenario/case. It may not be possible to migrate all the BWS you have with Rest API, so before migrating, make sure you know your special cases related to BWS and then use REST API.

This development should be coded by a OTCS expert or similar.

• Pacosta
    #7 Answer ✓
    Options

You should try OpenText Business Workspaces 22.4 REST API

https://developer.opentext.com/ce/products/extendedecm/apis/businessworkspaces224restapi

You should prepare documentation with source data (BWS, categories and attributes, folder template, etc.) and check the complexity and specificity of each BWS scenario/case. It may not be possible to migrate all the BWS you have with Rest API, so before migrating, make sure you know your special cases related to BWS and then use REST API.

• Zuppo
    Options

Is it possible to update CS 16 to 22.4 via System Center?

By doing this, I would automatically have the new version with all my data (BW), correct?

• Pacosta
    Options

You should try with OT Business workspaces 22.4 REST API - https://developer.opentext.com/ce/products/extendedecm/apis/businessworkspaces224restapi

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

• appuq
    Options

Yes in very simple terms.

BTW @Zuppo SC is a very new tool there is nothing preventing you from upgrading the system using the regular OT Upgrade method.All SC is doing is choreographing the exact commands one does when we do an upgrade:)

• Zuppo
    edited April 4 #11
    Options

@appuq

As I mentioned, I have version 16 of Content Server, but I couldn't find version 16 of System Center.

Can I install any version of System Center to upgrade CS 16 to CS 22.4?

• appuq
    #12 Answer ✓
    Options

You could try as I mentioned SC is just a tool so I wouldn't think that if SC didn't work I could not upgrade a CS system….Please look in KB for the Upgrade documents of yesteryear. You will find Case Study documents on how to do "Parallel Upgrades" What SC typically accomplishes is "In place Upgrades"

• Hans.Giger@opentext.com
    Options

Hi @Zuppo

If you are really on 16.0.x and not 16.2.x you will need to perform a parallel upgrade to 22.4 and newer versions (check the exact version on func=ll.index).

It is still very important to use System Center to apply all 22.4 hotfixes *before* connecting the fresh parallel installation to the old database and perform the upgrade.

I strongly recommend to review the official Upgrade Guide for more information:
    OpenText Extended ECM: Upgrade Guide
    https://webapp.opentext.com/piroot/llescor/v220400/llescor-iup/en/html/jsframe.htm?iupplatformreqs

This page contains an upgrade path flowchart:
    https://webapp.opentext.com/piroot/llescor/v220400/llescor-iup/en/html/UpgradePath.png

Starting with Content Server 16.2.6 System Center can be used to directly deploy newer updates and the related hotfixes in-place.

Best Regards
    Hans Giger

• Zuppo
    edited April 6 #14
    Options

Thank you all.

I have a new environment with version 22.4 already installed.

I can point the new 22.4 installation to the old version database (CS16) considering that the new Archive Server volume has also already been migrated from the old CS 16 version to the new 22.4 version. Will data migration work considering these points?

Do you recommend installing hotfixes before performing the actions mentioned above?

Considering these points again, which connection I would do first…the connection to the Archive Server or the Content Server database?

Thank you very much.

• appuq
    edited April 8 #15
    Options

Hi Zuppo,

In my experience people store emails and documents commonly occurring subtypes in OTAS, however, there is nothing preventing an organization from storing Categories, Forms, or anything. In the Upgrade code from OT will try to adjust/alter the schema to do its thing so what you need to know is if the system is old and very complicated one should be prepared to work through its problems.

What I have done in these cases is

1. Explain to the organization and its DBA to create a copy of the 16(or whatever database) and call it the "Golden"
    2. You would try the upgrade by connecting 22 or whatever, sometimes when you are running single-threaded and with connect/thread logs the screen in front of you will say "Upgrade completed with error".Since I sometimes knew my way around fixing the immediate error I would fix it. In other cases, I would work with OT to get it fixed.OT's upgrade will not resume from a failed position. In the newest of the software OT will say "This has a recoverable error" although I don't know what the progression is from 16. So I would ask the DBA to give me back the "golden" fix for the OT error that caused the problem and try it again. Again if it fails fix that and figure out all the problems until I get congratulations.
    3. What I am trying to say is an old system of data that no one seems to know what its use is, parallel upgrade requires time, analysis, and patience.I upgraded a system that had an enormous oracle database so the upgrade part started giving up after two days.I analyzed the error it provided was the Oracle rollback segments were all full. So we worked with our DBA to give it lots and lots of stuff. So on the actual production upgrade day, we had all the things and unfortunately, it took some time….I don't know if newer OT code allows multi-threaded operation because I haven't done anything recently that required huge databases.I still think the OT upgrade code is single-threaded.

BTW an upgrade will not fail if it can't find a Document(144) or Email(749) from OTAS as the CS upgrade will not check for data. However, it will fail if it it asks for a piece of info in OTAS and the upgrade thread won't receive it Hopefully you can understand what I am saying.

Migrating objects is basically the way when you do not have time and patience but then you are up against non-transportable subtypes as your post suggests:)

No silver bullet that I know of…