I’m working on a project where I need to generate custom ADN numbers (starting from a specific sequence) and assign them to placeholder documents. The ADN format is:
Site‑Field1‑Field2‑Field3‑00001
The ADN is dependent on a category that contains several attributes (Field1, Field2, Field3, etc.).Currently, the category is configured to auto‑generate the next available ADN number based on the prefix.
I cannot change the category’s ADN creation option to “freestyle” because that would require a global update across a very large system.
What I’m doing now
Using a WebReport, I:
- Retrieve the document that needs the ADN
- Update the category attribute values
- Commit the category assignment
- At this point, Content Server automatically generates the next ADN number (this is the problem)
- Capture that auto‑generated ADN ID
- Use
ADNACTION:CATASSIGN to assign my own custom ADN number (e.g., sequence 200 → Site‑Field1‑Field2‑Field3‑00200) - Dissociate the automatically generated ADN ID from the document
The issue
This workaround is:
- Tedious
- Error‑prone
- Risky when multiple jobs run in parallel
- Not scalable
What I need
Is there a way—without modifying the category configuration—to:
- Prevent the ADN auto‑generation from triggering during a WebReport commit, or
- Assign the category without committing until after I set my own ADN number, or
- Use a cleaner method to generate and assign a custom ADN sequence?
Any guidance, or alternative approaches would be greatly appreciated.