NodeTableView - should it display options not relevant to the container/volume.

Options
Hi Smart UI team - Ferda et al in particular....

If the NodesTableView is embedded on a page - either in a Smart UI customisation, or HTML page with a context - AND the starting ID is set to the Attachments volume of a workflow, then the version settings button (top right) that allows changing to Major/Minor versioning is present.  Attempting to invoke the option generates an error

However, this option I believe shouldn't be presented - as this volume type (to best of my knowledge) doesn't support major/minor versioning.  It's certainly not presented as an option when browsing the Classic UI and the attachment volume.

Wondering if this should be considered an issue or is expected behaviour.??

Comments

• Hi David,

Seems like a bug. I checked on the latest development build and that issue doesn't seem to be present so perhaps it's a known issue that has been fixed or has just been fixed as a side-effect of some other change. The version control UI component only shows if the container node has the VersionControl action enabled. Folders do but the Attachments Volume doesn't on my instance so I can only see it in sub-folders of the Attachments Volume. I only see the Properties and Open actions in the Rest response on my instance for the volume container.

Regards
    Ian
  • Hi Ian - thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

I'm curious  - what build are you on?  The situation I'm seeing I'm pretty certain I've got this on 16.2.11 and 20.2.  I've just updated a system to 20.3, so still need to check that....
  • Hi Ian - ah......seems this is fixed on CS20.3.....the API call for the actions relevant to the container returns different results between 20.2 and 20.3, with the 20.3 response not containing the "versionscontrol" option in the  response for the attachments volume, but if you have a folder in the attachments volume, the actions for this do return the "versionscontrol" option.  That's what I'd expect....seems on 20.2 though the attachment volume returns the action incorrectly for the volume.

I haven't tested with alternate volumes (e.g. project workspaces, enterprise, categories volume)....when I get a chance I'll check
  • Ferdinand Prantl
    Ferdinand Prantl E Community Moderator
    Options
    Yes, if the action `versionscontrol` is permitted by a call to `/api/v2/nodes/actions` for containers, where advanced versioning cannot be configured, it would be a bug in the REST API.

The error means that the data integrity is still preserved. Just the code checking the availability of the advanced versioning, which is behind the permitted action "versionscontrol" appears to have been wrong in some cases and was fixed in a more recent release, as you found out.
  • Ferdinand Prantl
    Options
    I am not getting e-mail notifications from this forum category and it might be the same for the rest of the Smart UI Core team. It may take some time until we join the discussion here regularly.
  • The error means that the data integrity is still preserved. Just the code checking the availability of the advanced versioning, which is behind the permitted action "versionscontrol" appears to have been wrong in some cases and was fixed in a more recent release, as you found out.
    Hi Ferda, the POST to /api/v2/nodes/actions from the NodesTableView on 20.2 includes a reference in the "body" that is posted to "versioncontrol". 

The response returned on 20.2 includes details for this action when the node referred to in the request is a workflow attachment volume.  If I try same using the Enterprise Workspace, A personal workspace, category volume, then the response on 20.2 is as expected - no versioncontrol detail returned in response on those objects.  Using a project workspace, versioncontrol details are returned as expected, since these support being able to set version control at the volume level.

In case of 20.3, the POST request sent when a workflow attachment volume is used again contains the "VersionControl" detail, but the response does not - consistent with what I'd expect based on behaviour for volumes not supporting major/minor versioning.

Conclusion - looks like a minor issue in 20.2 (it's irrelevant to 16.2.11 or earlier, as Smart UI didn't have the major/minor feature as I recall).

20.3 looks OK.

Chances of a fix for 20.2?
  • Ferdinand Prantl
    Options
    Usually only security leaks, data loss or other important problems are back-ported to older versions. The customers are expected to plan regular CS upgrades to get "ordinary" bugs fixed.

You can try filing a bug report at OT CS and ask for a hot fix for 20.2 nevertheless.