Smartview equivalent to Classic views Channel

Does anyone know if there is some kind of equivalent in Smartview to the Classic view's Channel object? For those of you unfamiliar with Channels, they let you schedule broadcast scrolling messages to all users at the top left of the screen.

Comments

• Hi Ian.

Not to my knowledge, nor do I recall seeing anything on roadmap for this....and somewhat suspect we won't.

Rather, if you have access to Content Intelligence, you can embedded a webreport tile on the Smart View and the webreport can return the information and handle presentation. In theory you could link it to the news channel, so that adding/removing/expiring news items is handled per normal (though that would be done via the classic view).

Conceptually should be achievable. Only thing I do see is that the WR tile widget is going to take up a fair bit of real-estate and would look "empty" if you had only one or two news items or used the "ticker" approach.

If you really wanted to get creative and dive into the Smart View SDK, WebReports and possibly some OScript, you could probably also set something up that only news items the current user hasn't viewed are displayed ;)

Regards,

David

• Thanks for your help David. My experience is that all the tiles take up a "...fair bit of real-estate". Not being able to control their vertical dimension leads to some pretty ugly web pages, IMHO.

• Ferdinand Prantl
    Ferdinand Prantl E Community Moderator
    edited May 27, 2021 #4

There will be a new Smart UI feature showing events from various feeds. It is not Channels, but it might replace it in some cases. I should not spoil this for you before 21.3 gets released ;-)

This is more an off-topic here, sorry. Yes, the layouts to choose form in the Perspective Manager (flow, l-c-r, tabbed) are very limiting. The trouble with the full configurability of the widget placeholder was the big effort to configure them properly.

All layouts use the concept from Bootstrap grid internally. For each cell, you set the pairs of width a resolution to optimise the widget size for every screen size. The width is entered in 1/12 of the screen size. The height in 1/4. The screen sizes are xs, sm, md, lg, xl, xxl. For example a tile like Favourites is kept from growing too wide on bigger screens by decreasing its width: xs-12, sm-6, md-4. xl-3. And there are parameters to create rows to allow high sidebars, to change the order of the cells on smaller devices, to introduce an offset or to hide a cell. Such grid concept can be comprehended by a developer creating a custom layout, but a usual business admin needs something simple and quick to use. Hence the simplified layouts, which use preconfigured zones made of the grid cells to place the widgets to.

If you code Smart UI extension, you can supply your own perspective layout as JSON. For example, showing this perspective:

can be achieved by the following configuration:

{
      "type": "grid",
      "options": {
        "rows": [
          {
            "columns": [
              {
                "sizes": { "sm": 3, "lg": 2, "xl": 1 },
                "heights": { "xs": "full" },
                "widget": {
                  "type": "csui/widgets/placeholder",
                  "options": { "label": "Side", "color": "#fff", "bgcolor": "#080" }
                }
              },
              {
                "sizes": { "sm": 9, "lg": 10, "xl": 11 },
                "heights": { "xs": "full" },
                "rows": [
                  {
                    "columns": [
                      {
                        "sizes": {},
                        "heights": { "xs": "quarter" },
                          "options": { "label": "Top", "color": "#fff", "bgcolor": "#080" }
                        }
                      },
                      {
                        "sizes": { "sm": 9, "md": 8, "xl": 6 },
                          "options": { "label": "Two", "color": "#fff", "bgcolor": "#880" }
                        }
                      },
                      {
                        "sizes": { "sm": 6, "md": 4, "xl": 3 },
                          "options": { "label": "Two", "color": "#fff", "bgcolor": "#088" }
                        }
                      },
                      {
                        "sizes": { "sm": 6, "md": 4, "xl": 3 },
                          "options": { "label": "Three", "color": "#fff", "bgcolor": "#008" }
                        }
                      }
                    ]
                  }
                ]
              }
            ]
          }
        ]
      }
    }

• @Ferdinand Prantl - thanks for the tip on setting out a custom perspective layout. Something to look into when I get chance!

A suggestion if I may....re "There will be a new Smart UI feature showing events from various feeds."

It would be great if this were something that would support following:

a) Provides the user a visual cue that there are events/notifications - something similar to the pages we're posting these very messages from! e.g.

b) Supports ability for the user to subscribe to multiple "channels".

c) Displays a short summary and when user selects a event/notification displays any further info in a dialog rather than navigating the user away from current location/page.

d) It would be also great to have some means of associating and clearly flagging notifications with the current perspective the user is viewing. e.g. if perspective applies to a location and that location contains a "channel", items from that channel are shown first and perhaps the numeric overlay could distinguish that number. This would support having event notifications that are contextual to location.

e) "Dynamic Channels" - e.g. something where the channel content isn't static or administered, but rather can be dynamically produced - i.e. by a WebReport.

f) Desirable - a way to group and display events/notifications by "Type" or a "tag".

Ah, wishes... ?

• I have a WebReport that has the source set to the News Channel but unfortunately it shows news items that are expired. I haven't been able to find a way to hide/filter expired News items in the WebReport. if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

• can you see anything in the WRs ROWSECTION that you could use ? alternatively, set the source to be a LR and pull the same Channel from the DB so you can add your filters, although you will need to manage the UI.

• Thank you for the help Greg, can you tell me where the channel info is stored in the DB?

• most of the information will be DTREE, you can see the specific queries if you open a Channel etc with Connect logs on which will contain the SQL.

OT do have a schema doc which you can get after signing an NDA. There is also a Schema Companion Guide (https://knowledge.opentext.com/knowledge/llisapi.dll/fetch/6848762/19905386/-/Application_Note_%2D_Schema_Companion_and_Reference_Guide_for_Content_Server.pdf?nodeid=13682418&vernum=-2) which may be useful.

• Thank you Greg I was able to figure out what I needed. thanks for all your help