Delivery Status

Sudha
edited December 16, 2011 in Cloud Fax and Notifications #1

Hi,

Please tell the scenarios ,the following status will be received from EasyLink.

Pending (1)
Submitted (2)
InProcess (3)
Record under processing (MDIS_INPRO)

Thanks

Sudha

Comments

• Not sure I understand your question.

Are you asking for information on the item level states that could be returned via the API?

I don't recognize anything in our system called "Record under processing (MDIS_INPRO)", so I don't really know how to respond.

• Hi,

Please ignore Record under processing (MDIS_INPRO).

I want to know when we will receive the following status

Pending (1)
    Submitted (2)
    InProcess (3)

from PGI.

I have also go through the url ,

https://apiforums.easylink.com/content/how-determine-delivery-status-email-and-sms-destinations

There it'  mentioned   A state of Pending(1), Submitted(2), InProgress(3) or Held(6) indicates the job is still being processed.

But I want to know the difference between pending and InProgress.

Thanks

Sudha

• There are two different types of states to consider - Job States and Item States.

• Job States are returned in the <JobState> element within the JobList and JobDeliveryStatus results.  JobState can have may different values, but the key ones that relate to the overall state of the job are below.  Also note that it is possible for more than one of these states to be seen together (for instance, Processing and Error could show up at the same time, indicating an error in the processing step).

AwaitingSetup - job has been received but has not yet started the setup process.
    Setup - Job is in the midst of initial processing
    Processing - Setup has completed and the system is performing the needed steps to prepare for delivery (usually conversion of input documents to TIFF for faxing).
    AwaitingDelivery - Processing is complete, and the job is ready to deliver.  This state is usually seen for scheduled jobs, where the delivery is to happen in the future.
    Delivering - The job is actively delivering the content.
    Posted - Delivery is complete.  The job may still be in process to wait for future events (like email bouncebacks) and/or to generate a report.
    Delivered - Essentially the same as posted.
    Reporting - A report is being generated.
    Complete - The job (including any reporting included) is complete.
    Error - There is an error that is preventing the job from processing.
    Cancelled - A request has been made to cancel the job.  This state does not indicate that the cancellation has fully finished though.  The way to confirm that is to make sure the Complete state is also included.
    Held - The job has been held and is not processing.  This usually occurs as a result of usage quotas imposed by the finance/credit departments.

• Item level states show the status of the delivery of a particular items.  You would see these states in JobDeliveryStatus and JobDetail results.  Although there are 8 different possible states, some of them almost never occur:
    1. Pending - Item is awaiting delivery.  
    2. Submitted - Should be treated as Pending, but this is not a state that I have ever seen in actual use.
    3. InProcess - Item is actively being delivered.  This state is very rarely if ever used.
    4. Error - An error has occured in attempting to delivery this item.  The item is not actively being attempted, although subsequent retry logic could cause it to be re-attempted.  When you see this state, you should also investigate the "gammacode" attribute of the item to see why it failed - this document explains the different codes.
    5. Cancelled - Delivery of the item was cancelled before delivery was attempted.  This could occur because of a problem with the destination address (e.g. an email address in an invalid format), an address block, or a user-initiated cancellation of the job.  As above, the "gamma code" attribute gives more details on the reason for the cancellation.
    6. Held - The item's delivery is on hold.  This is another state that rarely if ever occurs.
    7. Sent - The item was successfully sent.  This is what we want to see!
    8. Expired - The item was not attempted before the job expired.  Jobs can expire due to the specification of an expiration time, or also due to blackout restrictions (preventing delivery of voice jobs after certain times of day).

I hope this helps eliminate some confusion.

• What does it mean when a JobDeliveryStatusResult contains Delivered, Posted and Error, all for the same job?

I have jobs containing a single email, where the DeliveryDetail.State is Sent (<State code="7">Sent</State>) but the JobData contains <JobState>Delivered</JobState><JobState>Error</JobState><JobState>Posted</JobState>

How should this Error JobState be interpreted? There is no other data indicating an error of any kind, except that this particular example has a RecStatus value of LAST_IN_XDN_NO_MORE, which I have asked about in another question (https://apiforums.easylink.com/content/lastinxdnnomore), but I don't think is related because I also occasionally receive this RecStatus value for JobDeliveryStatus which don't have an Error JobState.

• No, that doesn't help at all. I know what the available JobState values are, I'm asking how an apparently successful JobState (Delivered) can be sent alongside an unsuccessful JobState (Error), and what this could mean for the job. Was it successfully delivered or not? What is the error?

• The job state of Delivered means that the delivery processing of the job completed. This is an exclusive state (meaning it changes as the job progresses).

The other two job states (posted and error) are non-exclusive states, which means that they modify the exclusive states.

Posted generally means more-or-less the same as Delivered - it means that the items have been initially posted through the system.  Sometimes there can be followup retries after Posting is done, but before the state officially moves to Delivered, but usually if you see either Posted or Delivered your deliveries should have completed.

Error indicates that the system detected some sort of error in processing; that error may or may not have impacted on delivery, and it may or may not have happened after the job went to the Delivered state.

These things are hard to explain without a specific example, and unfortunately since the errors get cleaned up quickly it's sometimes hard to get such an example.

But if you see this and you can provide a specifix Job ID, we might be able to explain why you saw what you saw.

• These 3 MRNs are for jobs sent yesterday:

60063505, 60063569, 60063537

They all contain the Error JobState, and I would very much appreciate knowing whether I should report these to our customers as non-deliveries.

• What URL are you submitting to?

• I have looked at the job numbers you provided, and as I predicted, I can't tell at this point exactly why the Error flag shows up - any information that would have explained it has already been cleaned up.

However, I can answer the following a little more explicitly.  You said:

They all contain the Error JobState, and I would very much appreciate
    knowing whether I should report these to our customers as
    non-deliveries.

You should never use the overall job state to attempt to report delivery status back to your customer.  These states just indicate the stage of processing of the job; they do not say anything about what happened to specific deliveries.  It is entirely possible that the job state will show "Delivered" (meaning "the delivery phase is complete"), while the items in the job could not be successfully delivered.

To see what happened to the delivery items, you need to use one of the lower level functions - either JobDeliveryStatus or JobDetail - to see the outcome of each item in the job.  If you wanted to get a summary of the results, you could use JobSummary.  That would give you counts of delivery statuses, but wouldn't tell you which items had problems, if any.

• OK, what about these ones - they were submitted within the last 2 hours:

60305993, 60306013, 60306029, 60306045

• I was able to find some internal logging on these jobs, and it appears that there is some sort of system issue that caused the Error indication to be set (and not cleared) for your jobs.  I don't know yet if this is a transient issue or an indication of a bug; I've asked my internal support folks to investigate.

In the meantime, I suggest looking for the Posted or Delivered state to verify that your jobs have reached the correct point in the processing, and then use the job status calls (such as JobSummary or JobDeliveryStatus) to get information about what happened to the individual items.