End user getting permission denied error when prompted for category data

Options

Hi. I'm creating nodes and setting their permissions via REST API v2 and end users are experiencing an odd issue when adding documents to these nodes.

Our desired permissions prohibit the end user from setting category data attributes, as we want those inherited from the parent.

When an end user tries to add a document to one of these nodes using the web interface (drag and drop), it automatically inherits the parent category/attribute data and works fine. Exactly how we want it.

However, when the user tries to use Enterprise Connect to add a document to the same node, it prompts for category data before actually adding the file, and the user gets permission denied errors even though they have not changed the category attributes and simply accepted what it inherits.

The weird thing is that In nodes that were created manually and had the permissions set manually (using the web interface, setting exactly the same effective permissions), the end users do not experience this error. They accept the inherited attributes in Enterprise Connect when prompted and it adds the document to the node without issue.

It seems that Enterprise Connect is not interpreting the permissions correctly when they were set via the REST API, but the web interface is. Our internal OTCS support team has been able to reproduce the issue but we seem to be at a loss as to what's causing it. Hoping someone here may have an idea I might be able to pass along.

Thank You!

Tagged:

Comments

• Appu Nair
    edited April 23, 2021 #2
    Options

The prompting of category when it contains metadata whether inherited or not is governed by a setting in the Livelink a.k.a content server.

Configure Attribute Value Requirements func=admin.AttrRequiredValue

in reality, if you observe if a Category that has an attribute value mandatory if you Add a Folder Subtype it will not prompt while you add a Document(144) it will prompt whether or not the parent folder has the mandatory attribute filled. My guess is in your organization your administrators have relaxed the rule or in other words, they made the setting like Folders.

Most systems whether rest or anything uses a check to see if they need to inherit it or not so my guess is EC is doing it. There might be an Enterprise Connect flag to relax the rule. There is an EC Forum.

I have tweaked the classic WEBUI code in an organization I worked before without relaxing the global flag to get around the nuisance aspect of showing it

I am not totally convinced about the contextual user case you are saying if UserA has to inherit attributes he still has to have Modify Items bitmap(https://appukili.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/general-help-series-2/) in the container object. This behavior is suspect.

You might also try to go to the Folder Node in question and see if your Folder Category Inheritance setting is set to cascade down. My guess is on the working folder the cascades are on the non-working ones they are not. The command or thing you are looking for is the Container(Folder) -> Categories ->Edit Inheritance. If that flag is set then that means don't allow inheritance.

That was my USD 0.02

#AOTD2D