Setting create_date and modify_date using REST API

I am using the Content Server REST API to upload documents from a file share. I want to add the set the create_date and modify_date to the existing values from the file system. Is there a way to do that?

I see in the documentation that I can provide values for external_create_date and external_modify_date, but these do not set the create_date and modify_date of the document.

Tagged:

Comments

• these dates are set by the system to ensure Auditing, RM etc are correct and so can't be changed via the simple API methods.

• Thanks Greg, that makes sense. Is it possible to use a different API (e.g. CWS) to set the dates? I know it can be done with Object Importer, so I wonder if that capability is accessible to developers via a published API, or if Object Importer uses an unpublished API for setting the dates.

• I would also be interested to know if there's any way of achieving this via other APIs?  
  • I'm also interested in this functionality via REST call. Anybody got it working in the meantime?

If Object Importer allows to set that date, I don't think that "these dates are set by the system to ensure Auditing, RM etc are correct and so can't be changed via the simple API methods." is still a valid argument.

• @Jeroen Lux

If you are talking about a CS API like SOAP, REST, or Oscript the supported methods will not allow you to tamper with the date when the object that is in another file system is brought in. These are CS systems of records. However, due to popular demand, OT has extended the fillable dates in creation by a new structure. I think If you GET a Nodes Date you will see something like "external_*" .What OI was at one time doing was it was doing a CAPI Update after the API created the Node. It may have had its use at that time but I am not sure if it is still supported. If you embark on that way then you better know that OT will not under normal circumstances support a system that has been tampered with by DB updates. If you know SOAP a quick call of Node wills how you the settable "external*" dates. Many of us add an extra category to hold that info that is another option. RM can always work around different dates so if a Document was 7 Years in another system they have methods to handle that in Livelink without losing the chain of custody.