WorkFlow XMLJob Specification

Options
I have no problems with creating or invoking a simple workflow using OpenAPI by calling the standard IWWorkFlow.createFromXMLString(IWWorkFlowService service, java.lang.String fromXMLString, IWPolicy policy).

However, I have a problem when inserting the tags below in my workflow specification.
<template_script>
<![CDATA[ ]]>
</template_script>
Does anyone know if you can insert template script in a Workflow instantiated by OpenAPI?

Thanks so much

Comments

• > Does anyone know if you can insert template script in a
    > Workflow instantiated by OpenAPI?

OpenAPI's IWWorkFlow.createFromXMLString() method wants a workflow job specification XML document as a string. A workflow job specification is NOT the same thing as a workflow template (a.k.a. "WFT"). There is a big difference between the two.

WFT's generate workflow job specifications.

The "<template_script>" XML element is legal syntax for WFT's, but it is not part of the workflow job specification language, which is defined in iwwf.dtd (located in IWHOME/local/config/wft/).

Note that __VALUE__ and __TAG__ and __INSERT__ et al are also not valid in workflow job specifications.

-- James

--
    James H Koh
    Interwoven Engineering
  • I don't believe this is supported - I haven't done any work with OpenAPI, but I did sit through some of a course once - and vaguely recall that the OpenAPI interactions with Workflow creation only went as far as taking a "job description file" (XML) and did not extend to processing a "workflow template" (XML/Perl).

I'm not sure what the plans are (if any) to support this in a future release - hopefully someone else will be able to respond to that (and/or correct my above statements ;-)

--fish
    (Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
  • Thanks so much James. That is what I suspected.
  • Bear in mind you _can_ modify the XML job spec prior to using it to instantiate a job. I'm attaching an example. Please note that the example is based on a specific branch and content layout that you won't have--you'll need to modify it to suit. But I hope it helps clarify the use of OpenAPI to launch dynamic jobs (ie, jobs with insertable parameters.)

bw

Bob Walden [bob.walden@interwoven.com]
    Interwoven Education Group
    IM: Yahoo, MSN bob_walden
  • Thanks Bob

Are there any plans in future releases of OpenAPI to allow full workflow capability?
  • Not sure what you mean by "full workflow compatibility." I don't have much insight to development initiatives either, more's the pity.

If you mean the ability to compile job specs from WFTs, I doubt it--but there's other ways to do that, such as http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=DOWNLOADS_WORKFLOWS&Number=3636&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=instantiator&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=3631.

OTOH, you might look into the content services SDK. It doesn't utilize WFTs either, but it does have a more sophisticated approach to composing jobs--it's pretty cool. I think you can download the CS SDK from the support site.

bw

Bob Walden [bob.walden@interwoven.com]
    Interwoven Education Group
    IM: Yahoo, MSN bob_walden
TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs