How to meet SEO Guidlines in Livesite?

Options
Hi,

I want to meet SEO guideline which says that every page should only have one <h1> tag.
When I develop any component usually I put the title of page under h1 tag only. Now when I place multiple components on a page I will get multiple h1 tags on my page. So my questions are:

1) In which sequence the component is loaded on page i.e. the sequence in which I have dragged the component or it will load from Header to Footer?
2) How can I get rid off other h1 tags from the page?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Any Ideas? Anyone?

Thanks
  • if you are using h1 tag only for the page title , why would it appear mutiple times in a page? You are not putting title in all the components. right?

Can you may be paste your code here so that we can understand your problem better? Whatever you are describing should not be happening..
  • Which SEO requirements are you trying to meet?

Most major search engines ignore this and use internal algorithms and link targets to determine ranking (see Google, Bing, etc).

In all honesty, majority of the SEO requirements are either invalid, specific to one search engine or carryovers from 10 years ago. If you have some that you have to meet, we can figure out how you can do this. The page layout xsl does not add any h1 tags, if the component does you will have to change the actual component.

Component loading order is not easily determined and has to do with the sequence of rendering based on page layout (this is not something that should be relied on).
  • Which SEO requirements are you trying to meet?

Most major search engines ignore this and use internal algorithms and link targets to determine ranking (see Google, Bing, etc).

In all honesty, majority of the SEO requirements are either invalid, specific to one search engine or carryovers from 10 years ago. If you have some that you have to meet, we can figure out how you can do this. The page layout xsl does not add any h1 tags, if the component does you will have to change the actual component.

Component loading order is not easily determined and has to do with the sequence of rendering based on page layout (this is not something that should be relied on).
    Thanks for all responses,

Let me simplify my question, When I create the page I specify the name of the page which becomes the page title or I can specify the page title from Page settings also.
    Now, if I won't specify the h1 tag explicitly in the component, my page won't have any h1 tag.
    Hence, I need to put <h1> in component itself to meet SEO guideline. Example: If I have an article component where user is providing the heading/title of the article in a datum. The same value I am displaying in <h1> tag. Now, suppose I want to show multiple articles on the same page then I will place article component multiple times which in turn replicate the <h1> tags and this is against SEO guidelines. So my question is that how can we remove those, I have two approaches either I perform some Java Script operations or else I perform the file I/O operation and remove/change the duplicate <h1> tags from the page.
    But, I am not satisfied with both of these approaches. Could someone suggest some other approach?
  • Hi,

what I kind of understand from you question (correct me if wrong) is that your requirement is:

"the page-title must be both in {title}-tag AND in {h1}-tag. Both MUST be equal. No other {h1]-tags are allowed on the page"

Livesite is not really able to enforce/help such a requirement because users are free to use any of the offered components on any page. No one is stopping them from putting multiple "h1-custom-components" on the page.

But you could offer one of these options:
    1. Create a h1-component. This will implement the {h1}-tag on the page. With some smart java/xsl logic you might be able to get the page-title from the page-attributes (thus ensuring the title === h1.text). And then threaten your contributors with the death-penalty if they use this component twice on a page. :-)

2. Alter the page-xsl to output the h1-tag at the top of the html-code. This would be a very sound solution UNFORTUNATELY it is NOT possible to have (with fixed-page-layouts) to have more then 1 page-xsl per teamsite-install. All your projects/branches will be forced to use this template. This, to me, is a real show-breaker (@IWOV: improvement-request?)

BTW: finding and manipulating h1-tags with javascript will not do ANYTHING for your SEO. Google/Bing/yahoo/.... don't execute javascript. Furthermore it does not result in "clean/modern" html.
  • Hi Ronald ,

"the page-title must be both in {title}-tag AND in {h1}-tag. Both MUST be equal. No other {h1]-tags are allowed on the page"
    Thanks for your response, but this is not my requirement.

What i was trying to explain is, If we had a inbuilt feature in LS, that the title of the page will come in H1 tag, then we need not worry about it. And we could have put the title/heading of component under H2 tag.

But as SEO recommends that every page should have one H1 tag, we need to take care of this through component coding only.

However, I think the approach 2 suits my requirement. Could you please elaborate more on that approach.
  • I don't see how your way of defining the requirement is different from how I write it?

Anyway, the page-xsl are located here: httpd\webapps\content_center\WEB-INF\classes\com\interwoven\xsl\runtime

You can add your h1-tag here.

!!!But don't forget to copy any changes you make here to local/config/lib.... or else they will be lost after a build-toolkit!!!!
  • you shouldn't modify the shipped page layouts. the shipped layout will be overwritten during toolkit rebuild and upgrades
    the proper way is to add a custom layout. you can use one of the shipped layouts as a starting point.
  • SEO is a great way to promote the services online and H1 tag also plays huge role in the on page seo. I also had hired the expert seo consulting team for my website. They helped me wonderfully and my web site met all the guidelines. Now they are handling off page seo techniques for the promotions.

• Pleased to know about the components and specifications of seo guidelines. Found many of the well known agencies providing seo consulting to all sorts of businesses. Packages are genuine and services offered are good in number. Will hire them for short term and transfer it to long term after observing their work report.

TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs