BIRT Installation with SQL 2005??

Options
obaer
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
This issue involves an initial setup of BIRT and iPortal running on Windows 2003 with SQL 2005.

Connection to the database through the data source wizard continues to fail. The JDBC Driver is selected for use with SQL. The Database URL field appears to be creating the issue.

An ODBC connection has been setup as "2vparts" and tested succesfully for the connection to database named "2vparts". This is required, right?

What is the syntax for the URL field given the following criteria:

URL Field Desciption:
jdbc:actuate:sqlserver://SERVER[:PORT][INSTANCE][;PROP=VALUE]*

SQL local instance name is: ?ipdmez0198miacef?
Database to connect to is: 2vparts

Is this the correct resource for such issues or shoul we use birt-exchange.com.

Thank you, Oliver

Comments

• rmurphy
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Options
    Oliver,
    Your connection URL will likely look something like:

jdbc:actuate:sqlserver://server:1433;databaseName=2vparts

Try this and replace "server" above with whatever the DNS name is for the server running SQLServer.

Rob
  • obaer
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Options
    thank you for the suggestion.

Modifying the connection URL as suggested (jdbc:actuate:sqlserver://IPDMEZ0198MIASQLEXPRESS:1433;databaseName=2vparts) yields the following error.

Error establishing socket to host and port: IPDMEZ0198MIA:1230. Reason: Connetcion refused: connect.

Thank you for any help or support you could offer.

Oliver
  • obaer
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    Options
    the following URL was also tried:
    jdbc:actuate:sqlserver://IPDMEZ0198MIA:1433SQLEXPRESS;databaseName=2vparts

This generated the Error: Generated the error: Error establishing socket to host and port. Reason. Connection refused.

SQL specifically states the instance is: IPDMEZ0198MIASQLEXPRESS

In SQL TCP/IP is enabled. Is there any additional configuration required? ODBC works.
  • datadonna
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Options
    I am about to start using BIRT with SQL Server 2005. Will someone please point me to the install path and steps to take to get started? I'm unable to find a step by step list indicating what to install first, second, etc. I have always used ODBC, is there a JDBC driver that comes with SQL Server 2005? Every assistance with getting started will be much appreciated. I need to present the case for moving to BIRT from other ODBC reporting tools so I'm trying to setup a demo for management. I will appreciate some advice before I start the install and setup process.
  • Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #6
    Options
    HI datadonna,<br />
    <br />
    Download and Install BIRT from here: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/downloads/birt-report-designers/'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/downloads/birt-report-designers/</a><br />
    <br />
    You will need a JDBC driver to connect from BIRT to MS SQL Server. A driver is included with Actuate BIRT Designer but not with the Eclipse BIRT Designer. You can get the MS SQL Server JDBC driver from Microsoft website if you need it.<br />
    <br />
    In Actuate BIRT, the MS SQL Server driver will already be in the drop-down list when creating a new Data Source... With Eclipse BIRT, press the Manage Drivers button in the Data Source wizard and add a pointer to your JAR or ZIP that contains the MS SQL Server JDBC driver.<br />
    <br />
    Now use a JDBC connection URL similar to the previous posts in the thread.<br />
    <br />
    Once your design is done and you are deploying your report either to the the open source Viewer, Interactive Viewer, or iServer Express, then see this entry for the location of the JDBC drivers. <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/devshare/deploying-birt-reports/169-placing-jdbc-drivers-for-birt-and-e-spreadsheet-reports/'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/devshare/deploying-birt-reports/169-placing-jdbc-drivers-for-birt-and-e-spreadsheet-reports/</a&gt;
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb