get default values of Report parameters programmatically fails

Options
system_migrated
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>Hi there,</p>
<p>I'm pretty new to BIRT and absolutely new to this community. First of all, thank you all for the hard work needed to create such a great platform and for the support thru this community  â€“ I really appreciate your efforts.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, that said here is my problem. I’m currently using the BIRT designer via eclipse and have created multiple data sources,  data sets, a library and a few reports based on the library. Except for some quirks i had while creating the reports (mostly because I’m new to all the BIRT stuff) everything works as expected. The next step I wanted to do, is using the designed reports from a separate, custom Java program via the BIRT report engine API. The Problem arises if I try to get the default values of a report parameter that originally comes from my library. With a minimum example I verified that the general actions that are performed via the java code are working well, and I can retrieve the default value of a parameter that was created directly in the report. I’m using the following method (i tied multiple variants but all lead to the same result):</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">IGetParameterDefinitionTask </span></span></span><span style="color:#6a3e3e;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">paramTask</span></span></span><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;"> = </span></span></span><span style="color:#6a3e3e;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">engine</span></span></span><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">.createGetParameterDefinitionTask(</span></span></span><span style="color:#6a3e3e;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">design</span></span></span><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">);</span></span></span></p>
<p>                </p>
<p><strong><span style="color:#7f0055;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">for</span></span></span></strong><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">(Object </span></span></span><span style="color:#6a3e3e;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">o</span></span></span>: <span style="color:#6a3e3e;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">paramTask</span></span></span><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">.getDefaultValues().values()){</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">System.</span></span></span><strong><em><span style="color:#0000c0;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">out</span></span></span></em></strong><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">.println(</span></span></span><span style="color:#6a3e3e;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">o</span></span></span><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">);</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">}</span></span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">This doesn’t work for me if I try it with fresh included parameters from my library. The default value is always returned as null then. If I modify the configuration of the parameter (not actually changing anything) so that it is not a bare reference but saved to the report itself – everything works fine. </span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Is this the expected behavior? What should I do for not having to “pseudo-modify” all parameters in every report to make it work? Is there some flag to check if the parameter comes from another file (the library) so I can use the original definition <span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">in that case</span></span></span>? Or is it a bug <span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:consolas;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">actually</span></span></span>? (I don’t think so :P)</span></span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope someone can help me with that. Thank you!</p>

Comments

• <p>***SOLVED***</p>
    <p>found the reason - as I already thought, it was my fault ;)</p>
    <p>I just needed to specify the path to the resources with EngineConfig.setResourcePath("path/to/report/designs/etc/");</p>
  • <p>Glad you found the issue. Definitely let us know if you run into issues in the future. :)</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb