No Webtop in Documentum 7?

Options
Elliott
edited January 3, 2013 in Documentum #1

Has anyone at Momentum seen the details for Documentum 7.0?  I've been told that there is no Webtop 7.0 and that Webtop 6.7 SP1, SP2, SP3 ... will be compatable with CS 7.0 until the last SP of 6.7 reaches EOL.  What happens then? 

Comments

• DCTM_Guru
    edited November 9, 2012 #2
    Options

Then you either pay for extended support or you are on your own for support issues.  This is not really any different from any other software vendor.

• jsilver
    edited November 9, 2012 #3
    Options

See for some guidance on the future for Webtop.  Webtop continues to be supported and will be compatible with Documentum 7.  If the decision is made to end of life any product (and there is currently no plan to do so for Webtop) you will have plenty of advance notice to prepare for that.

• Ravi_Hira
    edited November 29, 2012 #4
    Options

Reading the "Documentum_Environment_and_System_Requirements_Guide_7.0.pdf", the compatibility section mentions :

Before you consider the compatibility of a product with Documentum 7.0, keep in mind the following

• Content Server 7.0 is not backward compatible with any earlier versions of Content Server or

Documentum clients.

• Mixed version environments are not supported.

How does older versions of Webtop stand with the above statements ? Is Webtop classed as a Documentum client ?

Can we use older versions of Webtop with Documentum 7.0...according to above statements, this is not supported

Please clarify

• DCTM_Guru
    edited November 29, 2012 #5
    Options

IMHO, I think EMC made these statements b/c they didnt have enough time to test whether older version of products (eg 6.7) is compatible with CS 7.  I'm hoping that with next SP, they will change this.

Honestly, I dont see any reason why from architecture perspective that would preclude them from working with 6.7 (especially Webtop).

• judoman
    edited November 29, 2012 #6
    Options

Hi Mr. Silver.

What exactly is the front-end for D7?  I've pulled the binaries down and see no mention of Webtop 7.0 even though DA 7.0 is there with nicely updated certifications (IE9, JRE 7u7, etc.).  I figured I just missed it, so I spent 45 minutes walking through the official D7 PDFs and it's like the proverbial "elephant in the room"--they gloss over the front-end like it's not needed.  It is absolutely bizarre.

Like Ravi, I am confused and need clarification.  Perhaps all D7 customers are supposed to be granted a "free" D2 entitlement?

• jsilver
    edited December 3, 2012 #7
    Options

xCP 2.0 is the primary client supported with the initial release of D7.  Additional clients, including Webtop, will be certified with the 6.7 SP2 release, planned for Q1 2013.  D2 will be certified against D7 in the D2 4.1 release, also planned for early 2013. 

Please be sure to read Karthik Naig's blog post:

• judoman
    edited December 3, 2012 #8
    Options

Thank you, Mr. Silver.

I had read Karthik Naig's post.  You are (helpfully) providing information that he doesn't say, such as D2 4.1 being the first certified version for D7.

I am unable to download the xCP client from Powerlink.  I am guessing it's because we're not entitled.  Were we (and all DCTM customers) supposed to be entitled to this client, or is the D7 release really only for xCP licensees right now, with the "real" D7 launch happening in Q1 2013?

TIA,

/j

• jsilver
    edited December 3, 2012 #9
    Options

xCP would only be available to customers that have licensed xCP - it's not generally available to all Documentum customers.  Please contact your account manager to arrange for an evaluation copy of xCP.  If you feel you should be entitled to xCP, please contact Support.

• DCTM_Guru
    edited December 4, 2012 #10
    Options

Point of clarification - Content Server 7.0 is now available along with xCP 2.0.  You should be able to download CS 7.0 as part of your existing webtop entitlement; however, xCP is different license than webtop, so you would not have access to that.

• Harry_123
    edited December 5, 2012 #11
    Options

I dont see the mention of Solaris as a supported environment for Content server 7.0 in the environemnt and system req document. Is Documentum 7 based only on Windows and Linux ?

• DCTM_Guru
    edited December 5, 2012 #12
    Options

I believe so.

• hendra.liman
    edited December 20, 2012 #13
    Options

Hi...

I can't seem to find any documentation that deeply discussed about changes in Documentum 7.0 e.g What's New in Documentum 7.0..

does this documentation exist somewhere?

• DCTM_Guru
    edited December 20, 2012 #14
    Options

There is not one single document that describes ALL new changes.  You need to read the individual product release notes.  This is where new features are discussed.

• Julien.Fontaine
    edited December 23, 2012 #15
    Options

You may download documentum_stack_documentation_7.0_en-us.zip, in Powerlink / Download.

• Documentumguru
    edited January 2, 2013 #16
    Options

I have the following questions regarding D7.

1. Have anyone tested Documentum 7 with Webtop 6.6?

2. Will Webtop 6.6 work with Documentum 7?

3. What about xCP 1.2 with Documentum 7?

4. Since there is no upgrade path to xCP 1.2 to 2, I guess we will have to wait until xCP 2.1 is released, correct?

• jsilver
    edited January 2, 2013 #17
    Options

I've moved this discussion to the Documentum Community where it will hopefully get more participation.

• Julien.Fontaine
    edited January 3, 2013 #18
    Options

Not yet but for sure it's not fully supported in a production environment. Webtop 6.6 works in my test environment with DCTM 7 but i haven't performed big tests. For the path to upgrade from xCP 1.2 to xCP 2, it's not supported at the moment... You have to perform so many manual tasks.